View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #87
serr
Human being with feelings

Heh. I'd say with the state of Apple's OSX installers recently, Dosdude1 is to OSX like SWS is to Reaper. Even if the installer doesn't try to call your machine obsolete prematurely, his utility will let you download the installer file with no bs if Apple's server is crashed.

Kind of weird recommending a 7 or 8 year old machine, yes. But true Apple-like computers simply aren't made anymore. This post-Jobs stuff is garbage with a 3-5 year life. The last of the Jobs-era machines will run for 20 years if you take care of them. Do the math there.

OSX is still relevant and Linux is a little bleeding edge as far as the audio community and every software maker fully jumping on board. I say be a scavenger right now with the last of the Jobs-era Apple machines and hold out for DIY builds and Linux just a little longer unless you're tech comfortable and need a cutting edge spec machine.

Strangely, I don't feel like OSX is broken yet. (I know others disagree.) Cracks in the surface for sure! Almost certainly right around the corner. But it's not dead yet! Windows was always the walking dead of an OS. Dosdude1 seems to have a handle on the OSX installer bugs as well as extending the newer OSX versions to actually unsupported older machines.

"Unsupported" is old hardware that needs older drivers that are no longer being provided by the OS. "Planned obsolescence" is a machine with fully supported hardware but where the OS installer reads a system model number and disables itself. One of these things is not like the other.

Edit: In hindsight, that comparison is not right. Dosdude1 fixes bugs in OSX installers. SWS adds features to Reaper. It isn't a bug fix. So that's actually a bit rude in hindsight! Apologies!

Last edited by serr; 01-18-2019 at 02:55 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote