View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #844
sebas777
Human being with feelings

@schwa

Thank You for Your quick reply!

I was trying to learn more about the step input mode, but for some reason no YT tutorial exists on the topic, and there is no chapter (or I cannot find it) in the latest Reaper manual on that basic feature.

I managed to enable function keys to enter notes. After reading Your post I have realized that the option "use all midi inputs for step recording" may in fact start step recording (acting as the "midi input button" normally found in DAWs in the piano roll ).

From what I understand, you can insert a single line of notes with the length equal to the grid value, and there are additional SWS keycommands to set dotted and triplet grid values (no other tuplets).

Is there a way to step enter chords, ties or rests, or to repeat the previous note/chord? And is there a way to change pitch of the selected note by midi, or to change its length by a keycommand?

One tip I found recommends setting up a special step recording toolbar. Is it possible for a toolbar to temporarily activate a keycommand sub-set (when the toolbar is opened)? In applications like MuseScore or Sibelius this mode uses quite a lot of keys, so it would be a good idea to use a keycommand(/midi commands?) sub-set activated when the step input mode is on.

Last edited by sebas777; 05-06-2016 at 08:39 AM.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote