View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #136
eq1
Human being with feelings

Here's a couple more observations of emu audio (and onboard intel) while fiddling with Reaper in Ubuntu:

-I tried onboard audio and it generally works. I do get a drop out here and there. I tried various blocksize and period settings, I don't think it helped.

Strangely, I'm running a project with ~30 tracks, and the drop outs mainly happen where I have only a couple tracks playing, one mono and the other a 2 channel stereo sample, a snippet of another song. I watched the CPU meter over this section, and it jumps up to like 34% from 20% around where the dropouts happen (both of those values are high by historical standards, I'd see like ~3-5% on W7)...

That's onboard audio.

BTW, isn't there a CPU/resource monitor in REAPER/REAPER FL (for Linux)? I recall being able to right-click somewhere up in the right of the menu bar or somewhere around there and open a thingy, but I'm not finding anything in RFL...

EMU:

I actually got normal or near-normal sound for brief periods. In general, I can't have the project sample rate and the device sample rate at 44.1k and hear anything.

If I switch to 48k for both, I hear normal playback for some short duration, maybe 5 seconds to as much as 20 seconds, but then it reverts to static-y, 'misaligned' playback. Stopping and re-starting playback sound remains bad.

If I switch the project to 44.1k and device to 48k, I hear nothing.

If I switch the project to 48k and device to 44.1, playback is normal sounding but slow for about 5 seconds, then becomes static-y and slow.

In summary, project needs to be at 48k to hear anything. If device is at 48k too, then playback is normal for some duration but then becomes bad. If device is set to 44.1k playback is normal but slow for some short duration but then becomes bad.

hmm, one more thing: increasing blocksize does seem to change things somewhat, but it only seems to postpone the inevitable onset of bad sound. It's like buffering or something falls out of line. Reminds me of streaming from a couple different sites in Winamp, where Winamp can't seem to 'sync' with the stream, so kind of plays in staccato...

Last edited by eq1; 05-20-2021 at 06:45 PM.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote