View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #10
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

M/S is better with some distance. It is far better suited for say recording a semi-circle of instruments - recording singer/guitar is fine but it needs similar distance as M/S is not a close-micing type of configuration design.
MS happens to be a coincidental stereo mic technique. No need to back up from the source per se because it's MS. Just make sure you are pointing at the correct spot like the source's volume centre if you wanna get a centered stereo image and make sure that it sounds good. MS isn't always the best technique depending on various circumstances.

Pointing at the source's level centre, you can still pan/lift/lower the entire ms stereo config as a whole to avoid boominess or a thin sound. I'm mostly recording guitars in MS fairly close 1.) to reduce room sound and 2.) to be able to get an extremely huge yet phase-coherent stereo image of that guitar.

If you get very close to the guitar, spaced XY can virtually be considered AB because level differences and directional differences between the mics are much more pronounced than with the same spaced XY setup a few meters away from the source.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 04-22-2021 at 03:00 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote