View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by delpaso View Post
Been having this problem for quite a while now, whereby whenever I try to quantize the length of notes in the piano roll, it'll either not change the length of the note at all or change it to a weird length.

Even though the checkbox is checked to allow notes to both shrink and grow, they only seem to grow. For instance, if I try to make a 1/8th note 1/16th in length, nothing will happen. However, when I set the same note to 1/4th, it'll grow fine.

It's so strange because this all used to work perfectly. Hoping someone can help, it's driving me crazy! Thanks!

Edit: Added screen grab - in this particular example, you'd expect to see all the notes changed to 1/64th, however all of the notes are still as long as they were before.
Yeah quantizing is tricky. It's counter-intuitive.
I think if you disable snapping to previous values in the MIDI editor's grid settings up top you might have some luck.

Personally, I find quantization of note lengths almost always destroys a performance an I hate both shrinking and growing and just prefer quantizing of note start positions only (preserving the durations).

That way, if you play legato, it's recorded legato. If you play stacatto, it's recorded stacatto. That only happens if you only quantize the position and not mess with anything else. This is especially important if you combine both legato and stacatto in the same phrases.

The shrinking and growing pretty much destroy what you played. I also don't really utilize the strength functions. Either I want to play on beat or I don't. It's not really a half-assed thing to me.

As you might guess, I'm kind of annoyed with Reaper's MIDI quantizing setup. It's really confusing with all these grids and grid settings and snap settings and quantizing parameters. And then there's different input quantizing settings per track! Too much really. And I don't like the defaults and how you can't edit them and have them stick.

If you look at a DAW like EnergyXT, it's really simplified, and the input quantizing is toggled on and off globally according to the timeline's grid functioning. There's no guesswork. Likewise, MIDI recording and editing is a lot easier. I actually started doing my MIDI recording in EnergyXT and freezing those tracks to audio for importing into Reaper for audio editing.

Reaper excells at audio editing, but I think it's still bothersome for MIDI editing. It's just not efficient. Luckily it imports and exports MIDI alright.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote