View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 11:46 AM   #193
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
Having to pre-define time spacing is not good outside of a computer and also sometimes when using a computer. That is a major limitation, and it is really unnecessary.
When I hand-write notation, time is horizontal, and all characters take space, accidentals take extra space, even if using superscripts. Yes, independent of a computer although on a computer with monospace font the problem becomes incredibly obvious. Although a system could just as easily decide that measures don't have to be uniform size (width), and some music charts are written that way, with arbitrary width to fit all the symbols according to the limits of the page (or screen). The jazz chart which I posted before has uniform spacing which is exactly what makes it awkward with all the extra symbols. In fact, the app itself forces each space to be 1 beat, so that in 4/4 time, there are 4 spots which the cursor can sit in, when entering a chord name (in 3/4 time there are three spots), so that all the vertical bar separators are always aligned.

Personally I find it more difficult to read music (whether or not reading in real-time for playing) if the spacing of measures is not uniform, which also means if the spacing of notes is not uniform. Even if I am not trying to denote time strictly, it still seems helpful to use equal spacing throughout.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote