View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #119
headcase915
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
One mistake that I made early on was not panning the drum overheads hard left and hard right. Anything less creates phase issues, so I'll throw that out there. A really solid tip that I wish I had understood earlier is how important it is to constantly check against the mono mix. If it doesn't sound good mono, then it doesn't sound good in stereo, even if you don't realize it yet.

When I drop the mix into mono the rhythm guitars and cymbals disappear. This tells me that there is a phase issue going on... either a plugin or some kind of interaction via mic bleed. I don't have the mix in front of me to check, but I would start by disabling all stereo wideners in your project, then see if Sonic Vampire's advice does anything for you.

I can still remember the time, years ago, when the singer and I were unveiling a demo mix for the first time to the rest of the band members. The other guitarist sounded good... but then to make a point I solo'd his instrument. Turns out that what worked in the mix (high-passing it to 500 Hz!) sounded rather breezy and gutless outside of it. But click it back in, and it went back to that fiery, solid chugging monster it was before.

To tie the two together, something you might want to consider trying is narrowing your stereo field for your bass frequencies. TP Basslane is a simple plugin for that. Most mastering plugins should have something similar, but in the spirit of keeping it simple - http://www.toneprojects.com/products/plug-ins/basslane/.

After a few minutes of playing around with it I'm willing to venture that you haven't high-passed your guitars. My ears are telling me that a 250-300 hz highpass might really help you get some of that solid kick and definition back.

*a few seconds later*

Add the basic mix to a blank channel. Put TP Basslane in that channel FX at default settings (300 Hz). Put the Master into Mono. Now compare how it sounds when Basslane is on vs off as the music plays.
THANK YOU.. VERY GOOD STUFF..
headcase915 is offline   Reply With Quote