View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #38
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
@Justin @Schwa

Function

We've got five options for stereo panning, and none for more or less than that on a native level.

ReaSurround is a complex piece of kit. I can't make it work in 30 seconds like I can the simple, streamlined panners that do cater to my needs.

I mix in 5.1 using the Surround Pan Stereo to 5.1 Processor MK2, a VST plugin derived from a JS plugin, both found here.

Simplicity has its place. ReaSurround just ain't it for me.

Saving time
is the most important thing here. A native panner can do that more than any plugin.

By default it'll just sit there passing things through.

Graphically it can indicate a rough approximate of a position in the most widely use channel configurations, which are 2, 4.0, 5.1 and 7.1, with 9.1 plus Atmos coming in last right now. Dolby is seemingly starting to put VST plugins out there for that soon. The more special cases may be well covered with ReaSurround and other plugins already.

I mean, really guys, what's the problem ? Stereo is 50-60 years old in the mainstream music business. Regular 5.1 has been a staple for about 25 years now.

Isn't it time Reaper had an actual TRACK PANNER that supported those common channel configurations as well ?
I thought ReaSurround was a mess too. I also use the JS 5.1 surround panner.

I think Reaper should pick a direction and be consistent. Either go with integrated panning across the board and make an integrated surround panner or go consistently with using plugins for any and all panning - which would mean removing the integrated stereo panner - and require a plugin for all cases.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote