View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #2445
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Vera View Post
I would like to ask about frequency masking effect.
Do you spend time to listen and look for problematic freq. Or do they come obvious? How do you manage to identify them? I think Lowering the volume is a way, do you do other things?
The usual way to identify that is when you have a track turned up to a good healthy level in the mix but you still can't hear the stupid thing! You look at the meter (hot level), listen in solo (screaming hot), but it's still buried in the mix.

Time to look for the other track/instrument that is fighting in the same frequency range. Solo a couple tracks till you find it. You'll usually hear the frequency range in question when you start thinking about it and go hunting for it.

What I'm saying is once you identify the other instrument that is fighting/masking the first one, the frequency in question is usually obvious.

It starts with:
"Why can't I hear this track? Even though the level is WAY up!"

Then you find the one clashing with it:
"Oh, when I mute the bass track I can hear that guitar track loud and clear! What the heck?"

Then look for what frequency range is strong in both and fighting for space.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't start with some mysterious "Let's go looking for 'masking frequencies' today" kind of thing. It's more an obvious "Hey, this track is turned way up and I still can't hear the stupid thing!"

Every time this thread pops up I get a mental image from that movie they watched in Idiocracy!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote