View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 AM   #16
Fex
Human being with feelings

Three things occur to me:

1) I hope you won't take offense, but I think you should re-record that guitar, and this time, tune it a little better first, perhaps not to concert pitch, but to the strings (which are only very slightly sharp), and certainly to itself.

2) The strings sound very pleasant, but it is difficult, from such a short excerpt, to anticipate where this is going musically. Personally, I'd be inclined to put a delay on the strings rather than a reverb. I tried this with your tracks, and it sounded quite good, but whether it would fit with your vision is another matter entirely.

3) I'm in a similar situation to yourself, I think, in that I am producing a complex recording project (though probably very different from your own) with limited engineering ability. I, also, employ musicians to record parts for me.

I can mix somewhat to my own satisfaction, but I am aware that I have neither the experience nor, at this point in my life, the quality of hearing required to bring the project to completion. I intend to leave the final mixing to someone who knows what they're doing (I have too much invested in the project to mess it up myself). This will be very expensive, of course. One big difference between us is that your budget allows you to hire someone to record a forty piece string section, whereas mine leaves me wondering how I'm going to eat next week (me jealous much? ).

I wholly encourage you to continue to experiment with time modulation effects, and any other musical tools that appeal to you, but I think you would be well advised to focus on getting the tracking right, and consider leaving the rest to a professional.

Last edited by Fex; 11-18-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Llamas, inevitably.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote