View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #347
Tod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It is but IMHO much of that should have happened during the composition. I'm not saying a mixer shouldn't do it, they should, but I am saying if the mixer finds themselves automating the shit out of it to do so, I start questioning the composition - I guess as a musician I place a hell of a lot of expectation on them.

I had to remove any and all guitars starting with the first verse for example (at least I think I did). There are a number of others but no need to mention since I don't think they were noticeable enough to discuss - they are visible in the project anyway.
Yeah I totally agree Karbo, there really wasn't anything to spotlight, at least I had a hard time trying to find anything.

I did try to change up some on the guitars with panning and volume but with those, there wasn't a lot of room.

Something else that kind of comes out at me with all this, although it may not apply so much in this situation because it's a contest where the musicians themselves aren't visible. However, one thing I've learned over all my years as a producer and audio engineer, is to be very careful with other musician's and artist's material. Like I said, this doesn't really apply here, but, heh heh, with my old brain I have a hard time forgetting it.

Also, I don't know if it's because of my age or what, but I like some things, like vocals for example, to be natural, at least as natural as possible.

Incidentally, I've already taken a look at December's contest project and it's a total different thing, a nice little 6 piece jazz composition. One thing I can tell you though, it's not a walk in the park for mixing, it's got a lot of bleed to deal with.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote