View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 05:41 AM   #404
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997 View Post
The standard piano keyboard is also a good compromise for playability with human hands, in part specifically because differences between black and white keys.
Proved to be incorrect (if you have read some of my previous posts illustrated as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997
I see such shadings as a hindrance rather than help. Black and white keys on a piano function as a standard reference, both in piano rolls and when playing by touch without looking at the keyboard.

But I think it's good to have at least one common standard for the sake of understanding and cooperation.
You can use any visual or tactile reference in a uniform keyboard.
Also there is no need for transposing.
Shading notes in MIDI editors are great if you want to have a visual reference immediately and not having to check if it was a white or a black key and what those accidentals have to do with your scale of choice for the song (especially if you are not a pianist).

I agree about the common standard. And this standard should not be related to any special case of scale or instrument (as otherwise it is now with the Staff and the Piano Keyboard).
English is a good example, because it is the most easiest spoken language I've ever learnt to speak (and the grammar has become so flexible compared to what it has been a century ago).
Regarding writing in English... well that, my friend, is a completely different story and I can shred the English script to pieces, because it is inconvenient as hell (the good news is French script is even worse)!

So back to the Notation System to continue the analogy with English.
We have marvellous 12 tones. They sound brilliant in combinations, intervals, phrases, sequences... but writing them down... well that, my friend, is why this discussion is so controversial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n997
In other words, we hear pitch at a logarithmic scale, when compared to the linear Hz scale. This can be easily visualized in a spectrum analyser by switching between linear and logarithmic display modes.
See, on the guitar you actually interact with the logarithmic nature of how strings vibrate. On the piano is not like that. You use intermediators called keys (levers) to trigger a sensor or hammer, which triggers sensors or strings (each one with its own length in a "logarithmic" fashion).
That is why there is a logarithmic scale for the frequency range, to distribute the "lengths of those strings" so then can appear just visually to be of equal length.

We do not hear pitches as logarithmic order. This is nonsense. We order specific pitches as "twelfth root of two" (logarithm) to approximate the 12 notes in a 12 tonal system in the audible range.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 09-07-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote