View Single Post
Old 08-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Don Schenk
Human being with feelings

@Tod
Good idea. I did spend a couple hours yesterday and again today trying different small projects in ST, until I found I could add more tracks (MIDI and Audio) after the fact. I think I am beginning to get a handle on it.

@Darkstar
Wow, thank you for taking the time to make that chart. I dropped it into Photoshop, enlarged it to 300ppi at tabloid size, then split it into a pair of 8.5 X 11 inch images, and printed them out onto 2 sheets of paper. I've taped them together and have a large reference sheet. I will also attach a zipped folder to this post for anyone who wants to print them out as a large document.

Edit... It is here:https://s3.amazonaws.com/darkstar2pa...c+as+jpegs.zip

I had not gotten it through my skull that Reaper can record MIDI signals directly from a keyboard, it just needs a way to get an instrument's sound combined with those signals. I thought it had to send its signal directly to a VSTi.

What I see is Reaper recording the MIDI signals and sending them to the VSTi's I/O settings as Receives for the VSTi track. Then the VSTi uses audio Sends to the 2-bus for monitoring, and to the Audio tracks for recording as .wav.

So, if I have this correct, the keyboard sends MIDI to Reaper, in which the I/O settings on the VSTi track are set to receive MIDI, while the VSTi track also sends an Audio signal to the Audio tracks (and 2-bus) - thus the I/O setup of Sends and Receives in the VSTi track.

The audio tracks can be recorded either at the same time as the MIDI tracks, or (to be able to make changes later) the Audio tracks can be recorded later from the MIDI tracks after the MIDI tracks have be "adjusted" in the MIDI viewer.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks again.

:- Don

Last edited by Don Schenk; 08-12-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Add link
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote