View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
brainwreck
Human being with feelings

good stuff john and very thorough. you're just the guy i've been needing to talk to.

this guitar plays very good for a cheapie but i like higher output pickups and the current ones are pretty weak. i planned to replace the pickups soon but i'd like to try modding them first, just because. the worst that can happen is i break them and toss em, or try to rewind them, again just because. i'm a tinkerer. the tip about super glue flashing off is excellent. i remember when i was a kid and i super glued a cracked casing of a plastic jack back together. i never could get that jack to make good contact. i bet this was why. about delicate pickup wires: i worked for a manufacturer once that used .004" wire in their products so i have a good feel for working with the stuff. it can actually be almost seamlessly welded back together.

i have another old strat copy that i play constantly. the pickups in it are pretty high output. the dc resistance is 9.2k each. i like the sound of the pickups but i wish the bridge pickup had just a little more meat and maybe a tad higher output. i've tried adjusting the pickup heights but i like the sound of the neck and middle where they are now. when i raise the bridge pickup it doesn't really get any meatier. i see that lindy fralin offers a bass plate with his strat pickups. i'm wondering if i could add something like that to my bridge pickup. do you know anything about bass plates or have any other ideas?

btw, i've been setting up my own guitars for a while and i've shielded them, changed pots, etc. i'm about to try my hand at fret leveling and then a refret. i'd also like to learn about modding guitars and their electronics. where did you learn this stuff?

oh, i remembered the other source for magnets: http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/cat--G...pplies--MAIN22

thanks for sharing the info. any chance you know anything about modding acoustic guitars? i haven't found any info on it yet.

Last edited by brainwreck; 05-05-2007 at 03:51 PM.
brainwreck is offline   Reply With Quote