View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #2701
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmG View Post
Feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this, but I've been thinking about the separation of concerns off and on since yesterday.

There is currently a nice separation between the structure of the controller (ie. what buttons/faders/etc we have) in the mst, and the behaviour (ie. what we want to happen when we press a button) in the axt/fxt. This allows me to take MixMonkey's mst for the bcf and use it, in theory unchanged, while still controlling my custom behaviour separately.
Just change "the structure of the controller" to " the capabilities of the controller" and the stuff below will fall right into place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmG View Post
So the question is, where do the colours belong?

Where I'm leaning is that the colours relate to the behaviour, not the button. Maybe I want the button associated with the Record arm action to be flashing red when it is armed. So that would tell me it should be in the axt/fxt. The fact that this control supports feedback is in the mst, but the details of what form that feedback should take (ie. colour, flashing, etc) possibly belongs in the axt/fxt

Thoughts?
Well, the .mst states that the control supports feedback in the form of colour info.

The .axt/.fxt (soon to be .zon) dictates how that control'sl capabilities (colour) are utilized.

So the answer is -- it's split -- the colour capability is presented in the .mst and utilized in the .axt/.fxt.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote