View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #100
scrybed
Human being with feelings

Default EZDrummer + FruityLoops + Reaper

This is to help those of us who want to write our drums in FruityLoops using only one "instance" of EZDrummer loaded in Fruityloops, and therefore only using one PianoRoll making it much easier to see what we're doing when creating drum tracks with EZ Drummer. Been beating my head this morning trying to figure this out, and I finally got it. If you just want the answer, scroll down. I like to retell my tales....so I'm a masochist...Here is what I tried (and failed):

1. Loading FL inside Reaper and trying to route it so that the drums are multi-tracked. I could never get the routing to work. I could insert EZ Drummer and multitrack its built-in loops but I could not get this to work with Fruityloops, since it'd have to route from the mixer in EZ drummer (from inside FL) to the separated tracks in Reaper...yeah, does your head hurt yet? Mine does.

2. Create a loop in FL, export as midi, use said midi file to control EZDrummer VST in Reaper. My midi files never went over 60 bytes, which is useless. Never figured this out.

3. Create a loop in FL, export each track as a wav file. File sizes were around 14K, but basically empty. Never figured this out either, moving on.

4. Drank coffee, and epiphany. Here is the answer:

--------------------------------------------------

1. Create your drum loop in FL using EZ Drummer. Make all the notes and parts you want, choruses, bridge, verses, stops, fills, intros and outros. Have a blast.

2. When you're ready to multitrack, open the EZ Drummer User Interface, and click mixer.

3. Click the S icon on the kick channel. This mutes everything BUT the kick channel. Export to a wav, call it D:\Studio\[YOUR_SONG_NAME]\drums[YOUR_SONG_NAME]-KICK.wav. When done, remove the S from kick, put it on the Snare, and repeat. Do this for all channels, including the overheads and compressed channels. You can skip Room, not sure what this is for and it sounds like ass. [Edit] sounds like a mic just thrown in the room, but you still don't want it.

4. In Reaper, set the right BPM and make 11 new tracks (or less, I'm using the Drumkit From Hell), give then appropriate names and import the corresponding media files (the wavs we just created) per track.

5. Group them together if you want to apply the same effects to them, like reverb, etc.

6. You can now apply effects to individual drums/cymbols inside of Reaper. Enjoy!

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help!
scrybed is offline   Reply With Quote