View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #50
PeeWee
Human being with feelings

Default X32Reaper, count me in!

Quote:
Hi Patrick,

finally I got me a fullsize X32 for my Studio (and soon another -Rack version for my workplaces on stage as a keyboarder).

I was writing already comments into your youtube channel a whole while ago, and one post in the Reaper<->X32 thread in the cockos forums after you have published V1.4.

Now I am at the point to implement all the stuff into my environment, and I don't only want to say you a giant thank you for your hard work, unfortunately some few questions are left for me.
I hope you can help me with that - I have no clue how many people are bothering you, and how annoying it is.

So here we go straight away:

- Actually I was planning to take an old laptop I have spare in the middle to handle both the X32Reaper and the X32-Edit (from Behringer) between the board and the DAW. Due to its age (HP/Compaq 6720s, Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 @1.80 GHz x2), and due to the fact that all the software I need is availabe for Linux also, I decided to set up a Linux system (Ubuntu 14), although I am quite a noob on Linux.
I have downloaded the Linux version of X32Reaper, figured how to start it after half a day (---> ./ <---!), made the *.ReaperOSC file, set all parameters as accurate as I could on all 3 machines, but I think it doesn't work as it should.
Before I go deeper into troubleshooting, I just want to make sure if the Linux command line version (which shows V1.1) is supposed to work with the settings in the ReaperOSC file.
I am suspecting these settings are for the new Windows version 1.4, am I right?

- Since I don't like how the parameters in the Linux command line version must be set (or confirmed) after every reboot, is it possible to run the win version 1.4 from Wine?

Maybe doing all that from Linux is BS, maybe I should get me an old XP and start it from there. I have also considered taking a RPi in the middle, but basically that's the same, I would need an additional screen as well, and beside all that the new Win versions always will come out first, so ...

That's it for now. I'm curious about your opinion - and I'm thrilled how the X32 will be in the studio ...! Ugh, the wifey calls me, gtg to bed, lol

Later, Pete

-----------------------

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the kind words. X32Reaper has been keeping me busy some time ago and the fact some pro studios are using it is very cool. Now things are … calm ;-)

I have installed REAPER on ubuntu/wine and got it to work quite well, despite some hiccups sometimes due to Jack audio instabilities.

I admit it’s easier to use under Windows. I have plans to move the configuration under a file that will be read at startup for the linux version of X32Reaper. This is still not the case in ver 1.1 which uses the old, painful way of setting parameters and does not support the extra control banks available in ver 1.4.

I don’t have access to my ubuntu setup but can compile on a linux system at work so that could be OK. The latest *.REAPEROSC file is valid for all versions of X32Reaper, it’s really to tell REAPER how to talk to the X32Reaper program, from the REAPER side.

I would not bother with a Raspberry, I tested it for fun, but it really does not add anything interesting to a PC environment, even if the PC is “old”/slow.

Let me know if a linux version of X32Reaper brought to version 1.4 is of interest, I can speed up a little this. (I just finished a multi threaded TCP/IP server-client environment for a user who didn’t want to deal with UDP and needed multi-client access to X32.

Best Regards,
-Patrick

-----------------------

Hi Patrick,

thank you very much for answering and caring!

I think (yet) making a 1.4 Linux version is not necessary since the Win version seems to run stable under Linux/Wine and installing it like that was not really a big deal. I just need to fix some final issues:

Somehow I messed the network settings totally up, but at least I got it working in one direction now. I can control the X32 when I move Reapers faders.

I guessed and tried even combinations that don't make sense, but I rather think it's one tiny detail that's missing or set wrong I have overseen somehow.
I would be glad if you could take a quick look at my settings, but while I'm typing this I was just thinking - is it okay for you to go with our conversation to the Reaper Forum? So we can share it with the other guys?

Just shoot me a quick thumb-up message, and I will copy the convo, paste it into a post in the X32<->Reaper thread and proceed there.

Later, Pete

-----------------------

Yep. No problem.
-Patrick

-----------------------
... and here we go.

My Router:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My X32:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My old Linux Laptop, running Patricks app:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

My DAW computer with Reaper:
(Gateway 192.168.3.1)

The settings in Patricks app:
Enter X32 IP below: 192.168.3.2
[REAPER]HOST IP: 192.168.3.4
[REAPER] Send to Port: 10025
[REAPER] Recv on Port: 10027
At the bottom the channels assigned like recommended, for channels, auxes, FXs, etc. (see attached pictures for details)

The settings in Reaper:
Receive on port 10027 Host IP 192.168.3.3
Send to port 10025 Device IP 192.168.3.4
(see attached pictures for the other details)

The X32.ReaqperOSC is a 1:1 copy of the file included in the latest X32Reaper.zip; Channel count was and is set to 155.

------------------------

I have just noticed that the gateway in the router was set to 192.168.3.4 and I just set it to 192.168.3.1. Unfortunately that wasn't the problem, the connection still goes only in one direction.

Any ideas?

Greetz to all, Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-10-22 23.59.37.jpg (62.1 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-10-23 00.00.35.jpg (55.6 KB, 424 views)