View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
FWIW, Serr, I've been using FileVault for years, also on disks that are used for recording. The performance loss isn't even noticeable.

But, yes, it shouldn't be enabled by default. And there's a worse bug in there. In some circumstances, it resets your FV password. If you don't have the secondary unlock key, your data is toast...

That reminds me I should backup. It's been a while
Fair enough.
Now the folks directly accusing me of making up the examples I mentioned and that led me to posting a friendly warning...
I don't know. I suspect I sounded kind of like that a few years ago. Fully hyped up on the Apple koolaid and all. Apple can do no wrong!

So was this a red herring on the machines I saw? There was a clear night/day on the few machines with spinning HDD's when disabled again.

Does running a SSD make it a moot point?
The proper thing for me to do would be to run some disk tests. The Filevaulted OSX install getting bricked from the .4 revision sure seemed like a direct result. I've seen 3 of those. So I approached this from a "Don't invite trouble" angle and said turn it off if you don't need protection against physical theft of your hard drive.

Seems like the safe approach.

I don't get the logic in other's speculation that somehow disk encryption could protect you against anything online. This would be a dangerous conclusion to draw because it very much does not. You still need network monitoring and file verification tools for that.

Fair point that I didn't exactly verify everything with a lot of speed tests.

Computers...
Turn everything and the kitchen sink on unless someone can verify that there WILL be a problem? Or only turn on what you're using and keep it simple. I'm honestly trying for the latter.

I've seen a number of posts complaining about poor performance in OSX 10.13 that made no sense in that there was no obvious wrong settings and the machine was far from underpowered. And of course no one wants risk of their OS bricked when they have things to do. So I threw this out there.

Having problems and this wasn't it? Fair enough then.

If you have a machine with physical security requirements, by all means use disk encryption! Is it still fast enough to also run audio? Well, sweet then!
Note that you'll have to enable this manually again because Apple removed the default selection with the .4 revision.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote