View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #305
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Alt+Drag
Not really, because he wants the items to be in different positions (and possibly different lengths, not using them as "takes" which can replace others by clicking on them). Which means he doesn't want to use the takes system at all, IMO. In that case, those 2 videos I linked would be better workflows. (Or that he wants PT style playlists implemented.)

I agree a lot of the complaints about the takes system seem to be that people want to use it for different reasons than (what I have to assume is) the original intended reason. To use it for takes alone, it's really handy and fast. To use it like PT style playlists, definitely not.

@Mr. Green: As for keeping different versions on different tracks, and having the track manager cluttered as a result, I think that might be overcome by working a bit differently. See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xdj_Qnq61U

Providing you name your tracks appropriately, you can set up a toolbar (or keyboard shortcuts) to recall only certain tracks and hide others. An option for that which might help as well: if you keep your "track versions" in folders, then the top-level (folder) tracks as the organizers for each group of "versions" (child tracks), you can have an action that will make the child tracks appear or disappear, leaving only the top-level tracks (folders) to mix with. I can imagine a system using that script and the actions it generates, making a toolbar which will allow for some kind of "track version" management.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote