View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #287
ferropop
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I agree that the take arrangement looks messy. It would be nice if it were simpler to remove gaps etc. (that's something I think could be focused on for improvement).

You can slip the audio of several takes at once. Select the takes you want to slip edit so that they're the active takes. It can be across different lanes, or in the same lane (as long as they're selected/active). Select the items (or portions of them) that you want to edit (for instance if you're only intending to move 2 items in a horizontal "chain" of 5 items, make sure only those are selected by marquee select). Then slip the audio.

As for slipping the splits, hold shift while hovering the mouse over the split and drag where you want. If there's a crossfade it'll move too.
I know and use all these little hacks, but they are just that - hacks haha. I still don't see how you can heal splits -- if you select two back-to-back takes, do you use Glue? No because it gets rid of the layers. Do you use Heal Splits in Items? No that doesn't work. Do you just drag the split all the way left or right to make it 'disappear'? No because you are potentially totally destroying one of the takes whose edge is shared by that split you are moving.

The whole issue is that splits are a "destructive" action. Yes not destructive in the 90s analog sense because the original WAV IS there in the background somewhere.. but destructive in that you are ruining the integrity of the takes. Simply wanting to nudge a take should not require disrupting the integrity of EVERY OTHER take. Like that's lunacy.

I'm just proposing a system that, until someone proves otherwise, seems to improve everything that sucks about the current Reaper method while Retaining all the Awesome stuff about the current Reaper method..and there are definite advantages to the current take system over other DAWs so why not keep those and solve the problems?
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote