View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #362
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Why not? I don't get it, tbt. I've watched your AZLua video yesterday. It's a good project.
The project was good. But not for original purpose...
a) I have understood that I should not immediately implement something and that can be extremely frustrating
b) I have understood why (DX) MFX had to die (design problems)
c) I had a look at Lua. My experience with developers from the same organization was not perfect, so I had no big hopes. But I have found Lua not so bad, for what it is.

Quote:
For the past several years, I was desperately trying to find a proper tool for Reaper, that would use Lua and be able to operate both OSC and MIDI.
It seems like you had a lot of fun

Quote:
...because I'm not a programmer...
I guess there could be a good CSurf solution otherwise, taking the time you have invested into account.

Quote:
So, I would definitely prefer (CSurf module + MIDI I/O + OSC I/O + WEB I/O + PlugMaps Lua interpreter with Rea API, MIDI and OSC bindings) to work with, since it could be native and bulletproof solution to my task.
I agree. Till Lua (or any other generic interpreter) and I have abandoned Web idea (OSC Apps work better than any browser for controlling purpose).

Back it time, I had to choose one of the following approaches:
* just write ACT module for my use case (simplest)
* bind some interpreter (probably Python) to ACT API (a bit more work)
* create something "new" (it was clear that takes A LOT of time)

Since I was new in the DAW world and so I had no strait idea what my controller(s) should do, I have decided to proceed with the last, most complicated, approach.

Just imagine that instead of Reaper as you know, you have to choose between using someone else project (like a hardware "all-in-one" studio device) or you have to write a Lua(Python/JS) script which describe your own project. I do not think anyone will use such a "DAW". There are so many other products where you can add/move tracks, routes, FXes "on the fly". There is usually quite some learning curve, compare to simple analog mixer and tape recorder, but almost everyone is aware that the time invested will pay back. That is how all modern music production is working.

Interesting, that in Control Surfaces department there was no such "revolution". In most DAWs there are still just 2 possibilities as in "pre-DAW" time: use "black box" hardware+software with fixed functionality or "MIDI Learn" the same way as for "MIDI era" controllers with hardware MIDI synth. Some DAWs allows users to write own scripts (Bitwig, Ableton) or programs (Reaper, Sonar).

AZ Controller is an attempt to make the same general approach change as software DAWs have made with recording, allows interactively build reaction/response from/to devices. Current version is still at "baby" level, there are not many projects from which it can "learn" what/how it should do. Also the audience is limited. Hardware recorders producers could not stop software DAW development, software DAW producers (most of which are bound to hardware companies) can effectively "suppress" such direction (by not disclosing the API...). Sonar is dead. And so Reaper is THE ONLY DAW which allows such controllers revolution. Let see how far I will get this time
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote