View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #437
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by royleith View Post
I wanted to add a shortcut to close the current project. When I checked the Actions settings I found that the Control key was not detected and could not, therefore, be allocated to an Action.
It should be detected (works fine for me) -- maybe it's possible that your window manager was capturing whatever combination you were trying to assign? This happens a lot in linux for me... lots of handy shortcuts I have assigned in my WM that I can't use in reaper as a result...

Quote:
I have been using Linux Reaper through several of the previous V5 incarnations and have just installed new versions over the top of the existing, in order not to lose any of my settings. I am, now, up to V6.05 and have continued to do this, but I suspect that this is the cause of the problem.
I'd be very surprised. Reaper doesn't really build up "cruft" like other software (I have literally never heard of an issue caused by this for Reaper, but maybe I missed one). A much more likely source of issues is settings changes made in reaper, which of course will be preserved by copying them from one install to another. (All that said, I don't think any of this has to do with your shortcut assignment issue.)

Quote:
Is there a way to do a fresh install of V6, but not lose my existing prefs, templates and other settings?
You should learn about (and use, IMO) portable installs. See the link in my signature. For linux, this just means copying your ~/.REAPER somewhere and then running reaper via command line with a -cfgfile option.

I don't know how you're installing, but every linux install of reaper is a "fresh" install because the new app just lives in its own directory. You just download the archive and put it wherever you want.

In terms of export/import, though, you can always go to reaper preferences, and use the "Export configuration..." and "Import configuration..." buttons to export/import configs. But again, you probably don't need to, because your ~/.REAPER is sitting in your home directory, and any new reaper install will look for it unless told to look elsewhere using -cfgfile.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote