View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #20
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
So pretty much everybody is confused about what Channel Tool does. It has basically nothing to do with the actual audio paths or I/O pins. The Source there refers to the channel in the IR file itself. It’s meant to swap the channels of a multichannel IR in cases where they are in the wrong order for what you’re trying to run through it. As a simplified but probably not practical example: if the track itself was three channel LCR, but the impulse for some reason was set up as LRC, you could use Channel Tool to swap channels 2 and 3 of the IR to match the track so you don’t have to mess around with the I/O pins.

Now I want to say that you should be able to use that to get what you want, but I haven’t tried to work through it, and don’t actually have any quad files to try with, so idk, but hopefully it helps?
Interesting, I just did back to back tests, first putting an instance of the Channel Tool after a quad impulse file, flipping tracks 2 and 3 within the impulse, and I could visibly see it swapping, but I rendered a copy of it set to 100% wet, then removed the Channel Tool, and rendered a second copy.

The two rendered files nulled completely when the phase of one was flipped. So I ran the test again, but put the instance of the Channel Tool *before* the impulse. There was no visible sign in the impulse with the channel tool first, and the two files nulled completely the same as having the Channel Tool after the impulse.

The closest thing I've seen ReaVerb do to what is dead simple with the LSP Impulse Reverb was to set the pins like my first example, set the dry fader to -inf since it will be turned into mono with the pins set for the impulse, and finally use the Wet/Dry knob on the plugin container in place of the wet/dry level controls in ReaVerb. Nowhere near as simple as the example screen shot of the LSP Impulse Reverb from my last project, where you can see at a glance that track 1 is getting left input and outputting left, track 2 is getting left input and outputting right, Etc. ReaVerb needs to support True Stereo files as easily IMO.

Last edited by Glennbo; 12-29-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote