Thread: Please remove
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Well, I reverted to the PCI card, but the xruns happen with it, too. But they're mainly related to Kontakt. I open a project with many instances of Synth 1 and other Win fxs and it behaves good. Maybe Wine in combination with disk streaming is not a good combo. What puzzles me is that Reaper's meters show plenty of overhead in terms of resources.

What I get with Kontakt are periodic realtime peaks. Even if I record at 128 latency, I get many interrupts even with the transport and metronome sound - it all shuts down for a moment -. But the used CPU resources are meager, so, there is some buggy aspect of Wine that is acting as a bottleneck here. Unfortunately, unless some wizard comes up with a magic recipe to allow Wine to perform reasonably well, I think I have reached the limit.

Anyway, leaving aside Kontakt and some other intensive effects such as Spline EQ, I have already reached my initial goal with Linux... A working MIDI/Audio environment, with many native options and light Win fxs running. I can keep the Win 7 dual boot for the heavy tasks, for now...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote