View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
airon
Human being with feelings

Plush, how about "WRITE solo"ing a plugin when twiddling the knobs.

Also, you're forgetting that we ride EQs too sometimes, so whenever you write ALL plugin automation across a section, you also destroy the automation you performed or edited of the other plugins on that track.

Therefore the snapshot has to be on the whole track or just the write solo'ed plugin, should that be a usable idea.

I agree with Shan totally with Sync Points. Everyone likes them, as they're an easy way to take THAT moment in the audio to THAT point in picture. So set a sync point in the item(or item group which I'll detail below), go to the point in time you wish to take it to, and then Syncpoint_SHORTCUT+select the item to put it there.

The sync point is in fact good for more than that, because in VO work I sometimes just sync to other audio. I then set the sync point in a recorded track, find the same line or syllable in the new take, place the sync point. Then I simply place the cursor at the sync point, which acts like a item boundary so as to be accessible with a shortcut that jumps to item boundaries. Then I just take to cursor down a track and SYNC the item whose sync point I wish to be placed there. Sounds complicated, but it's not once you use it.

There is however another way, that does not replace the sync point, but adds a very quick way to sync things to picture.

This is STICKING the item under the playhead/cursor to the playhead/cursor and moving that. Since playhead/cursor controls the video playback you get a nice sync to picture functionality.

So Sync Points and Stick Item To Playhead/Cursor.

==Item Groups and Savable Item Sequences==

I've got a dozen tracks with footsteps and other misc clothing rustles. A picture change comes in that cuts away some of them. No problem. Then another picture change comes in that puts some of them back!! Now I need to get those footsteps and rustle noises back from an earlier version of the session. Pain In The Ass.

Enter Item Groups and Savable Item Sequences.

Item groups would be nothing but one item that contains a bunch of other items(including their automation). You can trim this item like any other, even trim its item volume and apply that to the item groups contents if you wish as you dissolve the group.

Editing the inside of an item group could be as simple as opening another arrangment view in its own window that contains just the item group. The alternative may very well be to ungroup the items, which could be quite a pain. Of course per-track automation would still be editable and recordable in the normal arrangement view, but individual item properties would only be editable in the item group editor.

Saving these item groups away would give us the holy grail of post production editing. Finally, after AudioVision was killed by Digidesign so many years ago, we'd get savable item sequences again. Save away effect, foley or music arrangments. The automation would be saved with it. Should the folks not have the plugins required when you insert the sequence back in to another session, just issue the "Plugin not found" warning.

If the plugins exists, ask "Substitute current plugin selection?", "Add to plugins in tracks?" and "Don't use plugins from sequence".

Inserting item sequences in to a current session would be drag'n'dropping them in to the session. I presume they'd simply be sessions.

You'd win over many folks with item groups and savable item groups(item sequences is just another name for that).

Last edited by airon; 08-02-2007 at 07:23 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote