View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
DVDdoug
Human being with feelings

Quote:
I bought the Rode after using it at a local studio & being blown away with how kind it was to my particular voice.
I don't own a "good" mic but from what I've read Rode gives you a LOT for your money.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with U87s, especially if you get a good older one.
I read a review of a mic that was a "clone" of a classic Neumann. (I don't remember the model numbers.) They had two copies of the vintage mics and of course they sounded (and/or measured?) different from each other.

Of course, the conclusion from a review/article like this is always the same - Use the original if you can get your hands on it. But, that's mostly bias and they'll always say the more expensive option is better.

Quote:
Also I prefer a 57 on my voice but on my friend's the 58 sounds better to me.
From Shure.com
Quote:
The SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a ball grille that acts as an effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where a smaller grille size is preferred. In this application, pop and wind are not usually a concern.
The SM57 uses an integral resonator/grille assembly, where grille is actually a part of the cartridge. These two grille designs place the diaphragm of each microphone in a different acoustical environment. The distance from the top of the grille to the diaphragm is shorter on the SM57 compared to that of the SM58. This allows for a closer miking position with a more pronounced proximity effect. The different resonator/grille assembly design of the SM57 is also responsible for its slightly higher output above 5 kHz.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote