View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelp View Post
OK, I wish to mix my new smash hit. And I wish it to have the highest possible "warm" "analog" sound quality. It consists of multiple tracks of a -20dBFS RMS pink noise WAV file, uncorrelated no less, at 44.1kHz. (thanks, Bob Katz) Trust me. This song is going to be awesome.
Release date? I'll buy it!*

Quote:
Anyway, I add the first track, with the fader at 0, and say "Aha!" "This track is peaking at around -11.5dBFS. It's too hot!" So, I access the media item properties and bring the gain down -8.22dB. There. That looks better.

Now, on the master track I've inserted "JS: Meters/vumeter" "JS: Meters/dynamics_meter" and "JS: Liteon/vumetergfx" Pretty! Everything looking good!

But I have unlimited tracks! Let's use them! Now I duplicate the track seven times, for a total of eight tracks. The meters are showing about -13 RMS and about -1.5 peak. Hey, I even left a little headroom for the mastering engineering! This is guaranteed to sound fantastic and super-analog!
And that's not even a musical (aka "dynamic") signal! In a real project you have tracks with different peaks and dynamics, different spectral content, so you should read less than 1,5 db then! There should be some headroom left, even with 30 tracks of recorded music!

Quote:
OK. Thanks for indulging me. That was pretty ridiculous. But is this the technique (oops! I mean "rule") we're talking about?

Project file attached...
Yes it is (:

* Don't laugh – when I was 15 and had my first sampler (Yamaha FZ-10, I wish I still had it), I actually made a track only from different noise samples layered, hehehe...

Last edited by beingmf; 11-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote