View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

I'm not sure that I have a lot to contribute, but I noticed that you said the MIDI track was set to monitor only. Why? Don't you want to record those messages so that playback is the same as what happened live? Or are you not really recording at all?

I've been using Reaper live for years, but mostly just run drums and synths and then amp sims for guitar and bass. I actually did put quite a bit of effort into replacing my pedalboard with FX in Reaper - actually wrote a few JS plugs to work the way some of my pedals do, worked out the feedback loop, and mapped all the buttons, knobs and faders to a Korg NanoKontrol. This was before we had MIDI Link in Parameter Modulation, so I had hacked together a set of JS plugs to connect the CCs to parameters via Parameter Link. I'm pretty sure I can pull most of those out now and just use native Linking, except that some of them do some more complex things. For example, the wah pedal bypasses just by turning its knob all the way up, and I think a couple of them are used to adjust the taper of the control.

The main thing keeping me from going all the way there is the actual physical interface. I plan to actually build a board with knobs and toggles and footswitches laid out more or less like the physical pedals, and hack the NanoKontrol to use those, but that is a big mess of a project that I keep just putting off. There is also the concern about CPU usage. The chain I had going wasn't too bad on its own, but I often have a lot of other things going on at the same time. A lot of little bits that start to add up, ya know. Especially if we're going to do the same thing for my bassist's pedalboard, I'm a little unsure that even my new(er) quad 3.9G processor will be able to keep up at decent latencies.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote