View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
Hoof Hearted
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
When you arm an envelope, REAPER creates an automation track for the FX parameter concerned, ready to write to.
I guess the alternative would be to have automation tracks for all FX parameters at all times, which would be an absolute nightmare.

I'm just so darned confused by the arm envelope option...

For instance, after adding FX to the track, I click on the (env)button to bring up the envelope menu. I'm expecting to see whatever filter I am using to be armed, as the filter itself is obviously affecting the track's sound. But it's not armed.

Fair enough, I can accept that. So I look inside the track envelopes menu and put an eyeball on the FX I am using. JS: Delay/delay chorus

I expect there only to be one box to check, because after all- I've already taken the time to set up each parameter within, but lo, my eyes behold a box for each and every parameter within the Plugin itself!

Now Am I expected to bring up automation envelopes for each and every parameter?(Delay w/chorus may be a filter for all I know- part of my frustration comes from not knowing what terms to use to describe items, but I will save that for another thread)

Well I say to hell with it- I'm not going to bring up envelopes for every component and its parameter within because I don't even know what half of them do. On to top it, there's only one lever that really seems to give me the effect I'm after.

You know which parameter I'm talking about don't you? Yep, you guessed it- I'm talking about the output wet w/chorus (db)parameter. It puts that good old Waylon Jennings sound on the track.

So, I checked it's little box, and the box next to it which says visible automatically gets a check as well, which brings up the envelope.

But that strange little arm box...it's still just sitting there unchecked.

I ignore it for the time being, and I press my ctrl key while hovering my mouse over the output wet w/chorus (db)envelope. I draw my desired automation sequence.

I press play, and the automation does exactly as I wish, seemingly without any flaw. Wherever I had drawn the automation to high levels, the sound became saturated by the effect, and where ever I brought the levels down, the effect went away. It was a beautiful thing.

I am happy with the result, but there is still a problem... there's still that gaddomn little arm box again, beckoning me to check it; daring me to leave it unchecked. I don't know why, but it's taunting me, shaking it's head at me, laughing hysterically at me because it knows what a dumb and ignorant ass I am. It knows, I have no facking clue what in hell's purpose it's doing there- just like that non-explaining ass hole of a blank box to the right of it labeled UI...WHAT IN HELL DOES "UI" even mean???? roflmfao!!! Didin't see it mentioned in the manual, and try googling that sh!t! Oh, wait, I think I know what it means- "Unknowing and Ignorant". My middle initials

So any how, back to that pretentious soapy grinned little arm box...by this time I'm fed up with it- and there's no more denying it's just time that we lock horns. I'd already seen it prancing its little ass around in the manual, shouting 'Look at me, look at me- I'm important!', but never really saying what the hell it even does. So, I decided to make the next move and I put a check right smack in the middle of it's parameters.

Funny, I didn't notice anything different after checking the box. I didn't feel some huge weight lifted off of me. I didn't really see, feel, or hear anything.

So, after a moment of quiet review, I decide to hit the play button again, expecting to finally understand just what the big deal was with that little mother lovin arm box. I was actually praying, ready to accept the divine knowledge seemingly bestowed upon the rest of you, and wouldn't you know it- lol. snort... every thing still works fine, and nothing seems to have changed. lol. gosh. I just find myself sitting here and wondering if the only reason that little bastard was created was to kick me in the nuts and laugh at me. lol!

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 12-17-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote