View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #38
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

I understand that many users are extremely conservative about any changes whatsoever to the MIDI editor, ever. This is the time when experiments happen, please approach it with an open mind, if past experience holds we'll probably revert all changes at the 11th hour anyway. Its worth trying.

To the people PMing me their feedback : that's fine, I understand why you don't want to do it here, though that is disappointing and I'd rather you did. Please understand that I'm not being rude when I don't reply, I simply don't have time for individual responses.
I'm not conservative concerning changes in the MIDI editor :P
The changes just need to make sense. The MIDI editor is a very delicate
area, because I (and some other folks) spend like 90% of my/their time there.

Things that absolutely need attention IMHO:

- events (notes and CCs) need to be clearly visible in any situation (events selected, muted or unselected).

- the grid should always be clearly visible in any grid setting (8th, 16th... triplet, dotted, etc...). Absolutely crucial!

- I personally prefer a darker MIDI editor, because it's easier on the eyes when working for several hours. Not too dark, could be grey-ish, too, but just not a plain white or a bright background as in v5.

- the pitch row color often gets neglected. It should have a color that still makes it visible in any situation but not making it too stand out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post

Please talk me through your workflow that leads you to need more than 3 layouts - because of the way this all works, it would be a big decision to add another one. However many I add will be one less than the number someone needs
Avec plaisir:
I'm using these different track "types":

- VST instruments:
visible elements: the whole shebang

- audio
visible elements: the whole shebang

- send FX
visible elements: name, FX button

- folders
visible elements: name, FX button, volume knob

- VCAs
visible elements: name, volume, automation

- AUX tracks like MTC, retrospective record, etc...
visible elements: name

Not sure if it'S clear by only digesting the list. But I'll elaborat a bit.

On VSTi and audio tracks I need all elements to be visible, because these tracks are the most flexible.

However, send FX only need the name and the FX button. I'll never change the volume on that track and having only the FX button on the track clearly visually states, that this is an send FX track.

Folders act like busses here. However, my sends will always be outside that folder, so I will rarely touch the volume here, because this would break the dry/wet ratio of the applied send FX.

VCAs only control the volume of groups, so I only need the name and a volume fader and automation here. Everything else is not useful.

And finally the AUX tracks, that host some "tool"-tracks, that don't need anything else than the name.

Hope this helps!