View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 AM   #70
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Quote:
There's no way that's audible so I'd say it's a pretty clean result. Why do you think there's that slight difference though?
Good question. All I tested was tight vs tight (with and without oversampling). But I only looked up to a floor of -96.

I could try and bump the number of decimals I output for the coefficients. Maybe it's a round-off issue? I kind of doubt it though.

The way I understand it, it could just be some remnants of the copies that arise after oversampling? I mean, the brick wall gives me -96 dB in the stopband, but it's no ideal brick wall filter. I'm actually not sure if perfect reconstruction is an attainable goal?

As for the higher frequencies you observed, those might've already been edging slightly into the transition band.

Quote:
I tried Pro-C2 to see what that did. To my surprise, with threshold set to 0dB it did not null at all, pretty much all the spectrum was present in the difference leading me to believe that some phase issue was at play. However, I then changed Pro-C2's ratio to 1:1 and it gave a perfect null. I'm guessing that they look for a ratio of 1:1 and pretty much bypass.
Wait, I don't understand exactly what you did here. Pro-C2 vs Pro-C2?
Pro-C2 didn't null because it didn't pdc compensate? Or it compensated despite no processing happening?

Quote:
Reacomp behaves the way you'd expect. If threshold is 0dB and/or ratio is 1:1 then you can bypass any signal processing. Something to bear in mind?
Reacomp with oversampling? Is the oversampling working now? I remember seeing a video from Dan Worrall where the AA was doing some weird stuff. I guess it's fixed now?

I guess I could make a check for that, but it makes not so much sense to even have a compressor on the signal chain if it's at 0 dB or 1:1. I'd rather avoid a condition for this, since it makes testing the plugin less transparent. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the suggestion

Edit: P.S. I just wanted to say I really appreciate you taking the time to take it through its paces. I think more eyes on this thing is really beneficial for the quality of the final result

Last edited by sai'ke; 05-10-2019 at 05:50 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote