View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
funkster1
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
has any one ever tried this:

Disable 8.3 Name Creation in NTFS Files that use the 8.3 naming convention can degrade NTFS drive performance. Unless you have a good reason for keeping the 8.3 naming convention intact (such as if you’re using 16-bit programs), a performance gain can be achieved by disabling it.

Set the Registry DWORD key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to 1. Exit the Registry
and reboot.

just wondering

thanks

.t
Hi Tallisman,

been using this tweak since I started tweaking WXP (way back).
A very nice, useful program for Windows tweaks is "Xteq Systems X-Setup".
Not only does it give you more than 1000 tweaks and settings to apply, but it also it gives detailed enough information about what the tweaks do, or how it could affect system performance/security/stability. I'm using this since version 5.something. Now they're at v9.xxx and it has become shareware. Still you may fully try it for 21 days, which should be plenty for experimenting.
A very nice addition is a function which lets you record all changes made to the system, and if you're not happy, you'll be able to revert back any time you like. Worth a look I think.

Raphael

Xteq X-Setup
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote