View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #2411
endorka
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
But most of the time, I think it comes down to some combination of bad monitoring technique, bad gain-staging, relying on gear/effects/plugins versus the plain evidence of your ears and senses, and/or failure to follow basic good studio and instrument practices.
Applying the antidote to all of the above, what I find is that the good music happens more often, and the bad music less. Making this routine means that you can capture the good ideas well, while you have them. The mechanics of recording become internalised, like tying your shoe laces, in a sense. The focus goes to the music rather than gear.

Something else I got from this thread was the "finished is better than perfect" concept. As someone who has a tendency to perfectionism, this serves as a good reality check. For example, it encourages doing a lot of mixes / arrangements / compositions, rather than spending a year trying to make one perfect. After working on several projects, the faults with the earlier ones tend to be obvious, and the fixes clearer, than they would have been with an entire year spent on the one.

Jennifer