Thread: beyond.Reaper
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #55
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Hi Beyond.

I am absolutely delighted about the BeyondPython project, as I am sure that in my work, there will be future projects that will include using a tightly remote-controlled Reaper installation. As those projects will have a rather complex additional business logic, (maybe) SQL Database work, and (maybe) sophisticated GUI, they will need to be done in a decent programming language, which might be Python (Or Pascal, or C++, or ....).

So I d/lded the V27 zip to read the documentation and unfortunately there is close to none.

As I did not use Python at all, yet, I can't easily understand or check out the many examples that are included.

That is why I would like to ask some simple questions to be able to decide if Beyond might be a way to be decently considered for those projects.

The questions include:

- I do understand that the external Python program can call any Reaper actions (including those that are provided as scripts within Reaper). Is it possible to transfer all parameters with that call, that are used by the appropriate action. (E.g. when starting a render action Reaper needs to know the destination file type and path, etc).

- Is it possible to dynamically retrieve states of the running Reaper installation such as "Recording" or "Busy doing a rendering action", "Name of the recorded WAV file of track 7" and similar.

- I understand that with Beyond, there is an internal Python program running as a script (provided by Beyond) in Reaper and an external Python program that can be completely done by the "user". Is it necessary / viable / common to enhance the internal Python script according to the project the user has in mind, or should same stay unmodified, being just a unified transfer module ?

Thanks for enlightenment,

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-28-2016 at 04:55 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote