View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #40
DevonPete
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpion View Post
Speaking a bit harshly here, since the Intel crossover it's been interesting to see how Apple have basically shat all over their professional users; the very ones who kept them going and kept their reputation afloat through the hard times.
I second this. I used to produce album artwork for the music industry and had to move to a Mac from PC. (There was absolutely no choice ALL the graphics/publishing industry used Apple Macs then). This was a while ago and used a double-processor G4 and Mac Classic 9 OS. When Mac moved over to OS X they ditched support for Classic virtually overnight. The only way forward, according to their philosophy, was to go out and buy a brand new top range Mac, then buy ALL new X software (again). This was, as far as I was concerned, totally out of order -- especially as I would end up seriously out of pocket but end up up with far LESS creative ability (All the creative Quark Xpress and Photoshop Plug-ins I used would not work in X). (Any graphics aficionados out there will have noticed a sharp decline in creative artwork at this point in time -- look at old album artwork covers compared to those today!)

So yes Apple's contempt for their professional user base was unforgivable. This was a major decision maker for me choosing a PC again for music production. (Although I did go though some doubts when I wanted to ditch my previous DAW). I'm glad now I did and Reaper has been instrumental (no pun intended) is confirming this decision was the right one.

There's still a lot of bollocks out there bouncing around about the Mac/PC debate, I don't think it matters that much any more -- a decent OS is a decent OS and that's all that matters really these days...

Another BIG factor is Bill Gates Philanthropy -- he gives his wealth away, and that's not something I can see happening as far as Apple's greedy business model is concerned.

Last edited by DevonPete; 08-06-2012 at 08:57 AM.
DevonPete is offline   Reply With Quote