View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
serr
Human being with feelings

Windows gets a bad rep mainly because of the cheap hardware (dell, compact and the like) and, being popular, an abundance of amateur bug riddled apps. Security is more difficult due to extra back doors to keep an eye on. You can certainly build a solid professional setup. The point is the popular cheap stuff gets a bad reputation.

For audio and video, all the pro apps are written for OSX. If the app maker writes a Windows version it is often times watered down. You can run any software in OSX using a linux trick without slowing anything down with virtual machines.

Price? Mac's are treated like cars in that the price of a new machine is inflated. But the used machines still hold the value of a solid professional product which allows you to sell and upgrade. If you buy slightly used at aftermarket prices, the cost is the same as Windows hardware but with out the planned obsolescence.

If you do audio or video work the main apps are written in OSX. Many useful apps are only written in OSX. Any useful Windows app that comes along can be run in OSX. I've been using Macs for audio work for at least 15 years and I've felt at least 5 years ahead of the Windows crowd for functionality the whole time.

I might consider Windows if I was starting over today. I wonder if the functionality and stability of the Windows version of Reaper is the rare exception right now though? For my work, it still makes sense to stay with Macs at the moment. If nothing else I'm familiar with the OS and workflow. Windows scares me and I would be very nervous mixing a show in front of people running it. And Mac's are extremely easy to work on, upgrade, modify, etc. for me.

I also think if Apple doesn't stay on it with their professional products or they'll be in trouble for this market. Reaper is in a unique position now with Protools in a bug riddled death spiral. If Reaper were to make a Linux version and the video people followed suit, this could very much change things.

Last edited by serr; 08-05-2012 at 11:26 AM.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote