View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #6
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Okay, final piece of the puzzle is the margins. Most of the time they'll just be used to keep a text away from the edges of its enclosure but, for example, really big top and/or bottom margins can be used to make a tall thin enclosure (because I want the idx background image that shape) have text behave as if it weren't tall at all. So the text doesn't flip.
Ah ha!

That was indeed the final piece

I started out increasing the top and bottom margins by single pixels, which started to crop the text after a short time.

I tried using;

front tcp.trackidx

thinking it would pull the text forward of that "cropping," but it didn't work.

I then started increasing the top and bottom margins by tens of pixels and it was interesting watching the text get cropped at different track heights.

By the time I got to a top/bottom margin of 460 the cropping behaviour stopped even with the track height extended to the full height of the arrange window.

So, that's it, job done... One to the next problem haha!

Quote:
You're starting out by editing some very complicated WALTER, because its me trying to whip, brutalise and bully the theme engine into doing things it was never originally intended for. Don't feel disheartened if its tough going at times
Yeah, it was a bit of a tough one last night. I had been pouring over all the different help documents, online and offline, examining existing "complex" code and I was lost.

It got to about 2 am here and I decided to make my second post in this topic and for some reason my internet went down about 90% the way through. I had hit Preview Post and it seems all my rambling was lost. Fortunately I hit the back button and it took me back to my post, which I quickly copied and pasted into a session of notepad.

Then about ten minutes later the internet came back on and I was able to finish my post and get to bed.

I think I had about four hours sleep, if that, and I was back at it again.

Coding can be a bit of a mad addiction at times!

Quote:
We do a great deal of egregious hacking in themes using idx_bg, more so than any other element, because it is the only element that has all three of these very useful attributes : it has a selected state, it makes full use of pink&yellow lines, and it is completely non-interactive. So if you see any kind of fancy visual-only, selection state changing trickery going on in a theme, you'll likely find that all the clever stuff is being done on idx_bg.
Right... A bit to take in there.

Especially the yellow lines thing.

I had read your Power of Pink document but the use of yellow lines along with the pink wasn't sinking in. I need to go back over that...

Quote:
Wow, man, I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that. Its my absolute #1 tip and I find it so disappointing when I see people struggling and they haven't tried that enormously enlightening exercise, if only for a bit.
Well, I got fed up with faffing with stuff I didn't understand.

It's not like I will become a proper "Themer" because I doubt very much if I will come up with anything worthwhile sharing, so all this effort may well be over the top. But I get sucked into this kind of thing. This isn't the first time...

Cheers, and thanks yet again for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

andy