View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #4
synkrotron
Human being with feelings

Hi White Tie

Thank you for taking time to reply here, I know you are a busy man and the last thing you need to be doing is trying to get old and knackered "ex-coders" back in to the swing of things.

On the "ex-coders" thing... I use AutoCAD in my day job (when I have one) and I used to be quite good at AutoLISP, which is a variation of LISP. You would think, therefore, that I would take to WALTER like a duck to water.

It just isn't happening, though, and I can only assume that as I enter my dotage I am finding it harder to pick up new stuff like this.

In fact, over the last couple of years I had a need to create some small macros for AutoCAD using AutoLISP and I struggled. I looked back over some older code I created and thought, "did I do that!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Reaper automatically flips the orientation of text if the containing volume is taller than it is wide.
Oh dear.

Quote:
If its proving difficult to visualise an area, I often find it enlightening to temporarily set a really obnoxious image as its background, so you can really see what's going on as you work things out. Here are my favourite obnoxious images for that task, should you find them useful:
Thanks for the images

I renamed my tcp_idxbg.png to tcp_idxbgXXX.png and then renamed one of your ugly images to tcp_idxbg.png

So now I can see this:-

I left the "selected" version of the idx png as is so that I can see how that looks on a selected track and therefore compare the two (ugly vs nice):-

The thing that is now confusing me the most is that both the default REAPER 5 theme and the default REAPER 6 theme utilise an image that needs to be stretched right across a track pane. As soon as you do this then at some point the containing volume is going to be taller than it is wide, and therefore flips, except in R5 and R6 it doesn't.

Okay, time to have a look at R5:-

All looking good.

And R5 with the Ugly image:-

Ah, right... It appears that I am not understanding how the tcp.trackidx and tcp.trackidx.margin are working. I thought that the tcp_idxbg.png WAS the volume of the idx area but according to the last picture above it isn't.

Some how, the volume is set, but the tcp_idxbg.png is still stretched across the track pane.

Now let's do the same with R6.

Here is how it looks "out of the box":-

And this is how it looks using the Ugly image:-

Big question now is, how, in REAPER V6 default theme, is the idx text not vertical even though the volume in which it is contained is taller than it is wide?

I can only assume that there is some more code that I am missing or not understanding in the R6 rtconfig file.

Quote:
This isn't a useful way to think of it : "the first line of code is executed first, followed by the second." because, in this case, the value is set in the first line, and then is overridden in the second line if ?supercollapsed{0} is true. Otherwise the second line does nothing, since it has no second term to that condition.
Okay, I understand that.

I was discounting that second line because of the implied IF statement. I didn't word my understanding of that in my previous post very well.

Quote:
Something that is useful, for an overview clarity of thinking when modding a completed theme, to load up a nuked blank theme. No WALTER, no images whatsoever. You see what you see there? That is REAPER, with its clothes off. That is Reaper, and that is always there, behind the theme. Everything we do is an adjustment of that.
Yes, that is what I have been doing. I started out with a completely blank rtconfig.txt file.

I had to put in that first block of code, the "Globals" because first of all the PNG images were not being picked up. Even setting the use_pngs flag to 1 didn't work for some reason and I had to put the reaper version line in. I realise that a lot of that initial code isn't needed for what I am doing right now, but I thought it was a good starting point.

Right! Back to it then, and thanks again for your help WT. If you get a chance to explain the R6 conundrum above that would be great but no pressure... I will spend some more time dissecting that R6 code around the tcp idx statements.

cheers

andy