View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #107
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Thanks for all the explanations and this tip. This seems to be a default BCR2000 feature? Never read any manual of the BCR2000 yet, on first sight this seems to be a useful feature, kind of holding prev/next as SHIFT keys, however is not this a "waste" of possibilities, why wasting all knobs for this? One knob would be sufficient, all the other knobs could do something else. Probably this can be also changed.

I saw some time ago, there is another OS project for the BCR2000, but I could not see any examples there. I do not know if anybody tried already, new, more sophisticated OS'es for the BCR2000, similar to JJOS for the MPC series.
http://hackaday.com/2010/09/02/firmw...-midi-devices/
http://willem.engen.nl/projects/bc2000-dev/

Mainly, holding buttons to switch possibility space. Two buttons side by side, could switch to another possibility space, one button as momentary switch, another as toggle switch, depending what type you prefer (momentary/toggle) in which situation you would use that button. There are 10 buttons on the BCR2000 on the lower right area, so we could do this game 5 times, in parallel. Each addressing another possibility space. With the previous preset switching idea, we get all together:
extended-possibility-space = possibility-space * 32 * 5. Not bad.
That particular 'waste' doesn't bother me much, really, as it also makes it easy to remember. But if you want, even the default buttons for 'store', 'learn', 'edit', and 'exit' can be overridden to do something else. Btw: since the top row uses dual use encoders, and there are 4 banks, you actually have 56 encoder positions per patch; and don't forget the buttons, that can also send note-on/offs, which*you like to use for toggling iirc. So if you really want to use a lot of modifier buttons, there are also 16 fixed ones at the top and 8 x 4 switchable on the top row encoders. Not bad indeed for such a cheap old thing.

Thanks for the tip about the OS hacks, hadn't seen those yet!