Thread: X Touch
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #23
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
My screen video capture is not working and I don't have the time to figure it out just yet so here is a quick, down and dirty taken via smart phone.

When you see a green input that was from me touching the fader to a slow and complete fader rise from the lowest it can go to the highest and then you will see the green input again. Hope this helps and let me know if this works for you. For some reason I had to view this from my android devices both cell and tablet while Windows was giving me some quirks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GiN...ew?usp=sharing
Finally someone has done that! Thanks!

So they are encoding into 12bits (lowest from 14 are always zero, the the range is from 0000 to 7ffc).
And it seems like they are using more then 7bit from the hardware (since it looks like you have managed to move "inside" 1/128 with a "stop" in between).

Do they use 10bits? (not 11 or more... I am not aware of any fader+related electronic which provides more then 10).
That is still an open question (note the same is true for original MCU, I have not seen any reasonable tests which prove how much from initial hardware 10bits they are sending throw MIDI).

Toward the end of the video, when you move relatively fast, we observe up to 8 changes per 1/128. So 10bit precision changes. But at the beginning, when you move slowly, there are at most 5. That make me believe they are using 8 or 9 bits plus interpolation.

-----------

You can try the following test: looking at the output, try to move the fader so you get just one message. So as small change as possible. Pause for 1-2 seconds between moves. Try to achieve many such "steps" inside 1/128, so when DATA2 number stay the same.

If you can managed to move just once and that is stable ( so DATA2 is changed every second move), they use 8bits.
For 9bits, you should be able to make 3 "steps" till DATA2 changes. For all 10bits that should be 7...
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote