Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

The midi inline editor quantize window uses the wrong grid Issue Tools
issueid=4154 05-19-2012 06:50 AM
Human being with feelings
The midi inline editor quantize window uses the wrong grid
Instead of using the project grid, it uses the midi editor window grid

Using the quantize window in the midi inline editor and choosing "use grid" as setting shows an unexpected behavior. Instead of quantizing midi notes to the visible project grid, it will use the midi editor grid (that you can only see and modify if you close the inline editor, and then double click the midi item to open the midi editor). It's quite confusing and not very effective.

Demonstration in the licecap below:
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Editing behavior
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 4.22
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 7
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-20-2012 04:50 PM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I'm afraid most people expect the quantize function sticking to its settings (it also doesn't quantize to the visible project grid in the ME either) in the quantize dialog. Since grid visibility is depending on zoom level, quantizing to that could be pretty confusing. This is certainly meant to be that way, it may be unexpected but it's not a bug. Please feel free to create a FR for an option, sorry.
05-21-2012 01:36 AM
-blänk-

I'm not sure that's what the OP means. It's not so much about grid line visibility, I think.
The inline editor uses the main view grid for most of the editing, but quantize uses the piano roll grid.
Thing is, if you are using the inline editor the wording "Use grid" in the quantize setting is misleading, because one would expect it to use the same grid as all the other functions. Instead it uses a grid you only can change/see if you open up the piano roll editor.
05-21-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer
I'm not sure that's what the OP means. It's not so much about grid line visibility, I think.
The inline editor uses the main view grid for most of the editing, but quantize uses the piano roll grid.
Thing is, if you are using the inline editor the wording "Use grid" in the quantize setting is misleading, because one would expect it to use the same grid as all the other functions. Instead it uses a grid you only can change/see if you open up the piano roll editor.
It's what gofer said, and not about a simple visibility question (that changes with zoom, or whatever).

I don't think you can call a quantize function "use grid" when it's not referring to the grid that is actually used in the project (but to some other grid you get access to in some other editing mode). That's why I reported it as a bug, since I don't think it should behave like this at all in the inline editor.
05-23-2012 12:02 AM

Agreed 100%.

Whilst this may not technically be a bug, it is in MY opinion either an incorrectly labelled function or an incorrectly implemented option.

Either way, I am voting for this as a reproducible bug.

Hard to see how this can be explained away as an "undocumented feature" instead.

This also explains why my attempts at midi quantising have been er shall we say erratic?

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue