Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

MIDI play cursor jittery - really hard to look at Issue Tools
issueid=5606 06-26-2015 07:37 PM
Human being with feelings
MIDI play cursor jittery - really hard to look at
MIDI play cursor jittery - really hard to look at

If I recall correctly, some time ago there were some fixes to make arrange play cursor less flickery (but to be honest, it still doesn't feel smooth as it could be). It seems MIDI editor wasn't touched in that update.

I started using dark theme by Jane83 and it's REALLY obvious at zoom levels where few bars (try with 5 to 10 bars) are visible.
I'm literally feeling dizzy and nauseous when looking at it and I'm by no means over exaggerating when I'm saying this. It's painful to look at :/

REAPER 4 default theme also displays the issue, but it's not as problematic as it's with Jane's theme. I guess due to the dark background and white play cursor.

Can you please fix this? Shouldn't it just be a matter of doing double/triple buffering to make it more smooth (for the reference, it seems REAPER currently doesn't do that).
Other DAWs (Studio One, Cubase elements) don't have this problem and while my PC is a bit old, it's not exactly underpowered (overclocked i5, dedicated GPU etc...).

Please don't lower the priority on this one, this issue should be tackled with. Your users may stare in monitor for hours when using MIDI editor and it would be nice to have play cursor move a bit smoother to help our brains and eyes.

Discussion thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=163396
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category GUI and graphics
Status Suggested
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version 4.78
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 1
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)