Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Quantization Issue Tools
issueid=5598 06-11-2015 09:38 AM
Human being with feelings
Quantization
Quantization made easy

I'd like to have a functionality that allows "one-click" to quantize a drum or any other track with clear transients without splitting the track, quantizing each item and refilling the gaps.

HOW COULD IT WORK
- it should open up a windows very similar to "dynamic split" in order to tweak the settings in order to catch all the correct transients
- it should allow you to quantize straight to the BPM, to a division of the BPM
- it should allow to choose a groove
- it should have a GUESS button where with one click it tries to quantize doing the above steps automatically. It should work 95% for drum traks for example

I know we can do almost all of the above with many clicks and steps and some SWS, but I mean semplifying the workflow. This is the aim of this request.

g
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version 4.78
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 1
Users who would not use this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-11-2015 08:12 PM

No SWS needed, all you do is select item > dynamic split > quantize the result. So you want a feature that simply skips the part where you press Q? Maybe like an extra section at the end of the dynamic split box but it seems a bit redundant.
06-11-2015 11:04 PM

Not quite so.

The process is Dynamic Split, hit Q, fill-in the gaps, re-heal the items to go back to one single item. I don't want to remain with a mess of unjoint items in the track

I would like to avoid step 3 and 4 (and yes, also step 2 why not)

Plus I would like to quantize with different possible grooves

PS. In general I'd love very much Reaper to go toward a better ease of use, less clicks (even if is just one click out), more embedded functionalities instead of programming (scripting?) tools.
07-08-2015 10:21 PM

I`m writing now LUA Quantize tool, so if we talking about grooves you can check this stuff and post about what you actually want to see in this tool maybe.
07-09-2015 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl
I`m writing now LUA Quantize tool, so if we talking about grooves you can check this stuff and post about what you actually want to see in this tool maybe.
I don't know what LUA is. Anyway I suppose a new menu item i Reaper somehow programmed by you.
I saw your thread and..well.. getting closer but
- I still see lots of clicking around, I would rather suggest some sort of "one-click" automation of main tasks
- About swing is that a SHIFT (fixed swing in one direction) or musical swing (jazz groove, funk anticipation, etc.)?
- About stretch markers, beware that stretching Items might change phase, using such estensively stretch markers might lead to quality deterioration. I would rather consider moving items (without stretch) and filling gaps afterwards as a method to quantize

g

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue