Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

Reaper x64: ReaNINJAM experiences "Error Creating Session Directory!" Issue Tools
issueid=2024 02-12-2010 05:03 AM
Human being with feelings
Reaper x64: ReaNINJAM experiences "Error Creating Session Directory!"
ReaNINJAM unable to connect in REAPER 3.3 x64

ReaNINJAM is unable to connect to a server in REAPER 3.3 (and other 3.x releases), x64 version. Gives "ERROR CREATING SESSION DIRECTORY" message. Verified on two separate Win7 64 machines. ReaNINJAM works without issue on same machines / OS when using REAPER x86.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 3.3
Closed Version 3.31
Yes votes 1
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-13-2010 04:54 PM
Administrator

Open ReaNinjam, on the ninjam window go to file/preferences, and change the session file directory. By default it is created below the Reaper executable directory, which is probably not writeable on your system.
This petition for a change to Awaiting Feedback was rejected
02-13-2010 07:05 PM

Hi Schwa. I forgot to mention that this was the first thing I tried, figuring it was an NTFS permissions issue. I just tried again, using a folder right under C: that I expressly created just now under the same user account-- same deal.

One thing I noticed, though, is that NINJAM is bouncing the session folder right back to its default directory-- C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\NINJAMsessions-- after each failed connection attempt. In a way this makes sense, of course.

Also worth noting that it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I, as administrator, actually create the default (and initially missing) \NINJAMsessions folder or not. Behavior is the same.

edit: Also, REAPER x86 uses a similar folder by default under Program Files (x86). No problems there :)
02-13-2010 10:31 PM
Administrator

I can't recreate any problem apart from directory permissions. If I pick a writeable directory for the session directory, it gets created (W7 x64).
02-14-2010 05:04 AM

All I know is that I am experiencing this with REAPER x64 on two separate machines-- one on a factory install of 7 Home Premium, one on a user from-scratch install of 7 Pro. I am about to go test it on the girlfriend's machine that was upgraded from Vista to 7 Home Premium, and unless I report back, the symptoms are identical there as well.

Even though I am an administrator account on this laptop, I just went into a directory and manually handed over full control for *all* users, with precisely the same symptoms when I try to get ReaNINJAM to write to it.

And, again, if I use the 32-bit version of REAPER, it works right away, even when I leave ReaNINJAM writing in the REAPER install folder as it is by default. Soooo...
02-14-2010 10:15 AM

Alright, after installing this on my GF's machine and finding the same issue once again, I was preparing a Camstudio video to prove I wasn't inept and/or insane... in the process, I think I've figured this out. The issue is permissions-related, but not 100% in the way that you might think.

I discovered that if I went into the ReaNINJAM preferences, changed the session directory, closed the prefs dialog and then reopened it, the session directory had immediately bounced back to the default location, which neither exists out of the box, nor is it writeable in stock form.

Once I simply changed the permissions for the system-wide class of *users* to enable file writing and creation, the session-directory changes I was trying to make finally stuck.

So, as it turns out, ReaNINJAM is unable to create reaninjam.ini in C:\Program Files\REAPER until the permissions on the REAPER executable folder are changed. The file doesn't exist by default and until it gets created, NINJAM just keeps trying to write to its default non-writeable folder.

I sent reaninjam.ini to one of my other machines having the issue and copied it into the REAPER program directory manually, with absolutely no other changes to system permissions or anything else.

This enabled ReaNINJAM on the *second* machine to change / remember its session directory. It would still not write to the REAPER program folder or anything else inaccessible for write access to the *user* class-- still getting ERROR CREATING SESSION DIRECTORY messages when I tried to connect to NINJAM with one of those set as the session folder. Weird to me since, again, I'm running on an admin account, but I don't claim to understand Windows / NTFS permissions 100%.

All this in mind, I'd suggest that new versions of REAPER x64 ship with reaninjam.ini already created in C:\Program Files\REAPER, and with the default directory set to something like C:\CHANGE_TO_WRITEABLE_DIRECTORY.

I still don't know why the 32-bit version of REAPER / ReaNINJAM worked perfectly out of the box. Perhaps Win7 treats C:\Program Files (x86) differently by default for some reason.
02-14-2010 10:23 AM
Administrator

Thanks very much for doing this research! The summary is, ReaNinjam by default tries to write the user session preferences to the Reaper program directory. If the preferences file (reaninjam.ini) cannot be created in that directory, then Ninjam will not allow the user to change the session directory away from the default, which is in the same unwriteable directory.

A classic catch-22! We will sort this out.
02-14-2010 10:24 AM

Confirmed here too.

Windows 7 x64 RC1.
Reaper 3.301
ReaNINJAM v0.11

Connection->Preferences settings refuse to save
The Save recordings checkbox reverts to checked.
The folder reverts to C:\Program Files\REAPER\NINJAMsessions
03-06-2010 02:07 AM

3.35 still needs the work-around for manually creating the ini file.
05-31-2010 08:36 PM

So what's the solution guys? I'm having the issue right now running latest and greatest REAPER 3.52 in W7 64-bit.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue