Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Use Track Recieves As Record Input Issue Tools
issueid=755 07-30-2009 05:39 PM
Human being with feelings
Use Track Recieves As Record Input
Please make it possible to select the output of one track as record source for another track.

This option would give a better solution than recording the output of a
track when working with multiple takes.

For example when I want to record the distorted output
of cpu hungry guitar fx chain and I want to record multiple takes
(auto punch selected item), it's necessary.

Thank you!
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version 3.06
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 35
Users who would not use this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-30-2009 08:47 PM

This exactly what we need! :D Let's forget about a dedicated Input Track... new record mode Record: Receives Only; this way we'll be able to record multiple takes/items while monitoring track media, even in FIPM. I have to say that this is my most beloved FR ever in REAPER :D ... it's simply amazing the idea of using a track with some VST's inserted to "process" your input live and send this processed audio to your recording tracks while monitoring previosuly recorded items ;)

Let's go back in time :) :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ecord+receives

NOTE: Cablebob I'll sue you man, you stole my idea! :D
07-31-2009 04:04 PM

The missing bit in the recording options arsenal of Reaper.

This is pretty much the way we record post mixes and fix bits of it as well. I guess JCS never got around to doing this, as they jumped right ahead and did the track-output recording instead :) .
08-11-2009 05:27 AM

Totally what I want! It's a basic feature in lot of DAW...

And I would like to have this feature working with track folder, too.
08-11-2009 06:11 AM

I'd kindly suggest to all of you who have voted for this request to take a look at this:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=913

IMO this is a better and more complete solution, thanks to Billion for the idea.
08-11-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro
I'd kindly suggest to all of you who have voted for this request to take a look at this:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=913

IMO this is a better and more complete solution, thanks to Billion for the idea.
I would say it's the same idea (duplicate).
08-11-2009 06:38 AM

No Dstruct, please read the thread on Forums and you'll see it's not the same idea. Cablebob and I suggested the ability to record receives only in a track (regular sends involved). Billion suggested a better approach where a track output is considered as an input in other tracks (look at the mockups in the thread).
08-11-2009 06:40 AM

To me Cablebob's idea is a duplicate (for the tracker) of Billoon's.
08-11-2009 09:14 AM

In the other FR, He don't talk about when you want record multiple send in one track...

For me, this feature is almost a bug concerning the folder track, like I have explained in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...d=1#post333270
=> it's a shame to not being able to record folder's track with the same monitoring features of a basic input. (tape auto-style)

In fact, the best would be to separate FX sends, and BUS routing for recording...like in any mixers, and (almost) all software.

I've took the idea a little bit higher for 5.1 postprod features: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=54
08-11-2009 09:43 AM

Tracks can monitor inputs and/or outputs. Folder Tracks monitor outputs by default but you can monitor inputs too by choosing "Monitor Input" or "Monitor Input (Tape Auto Style)". What Folder Tracks receive from their children is between the input and the output (that's why their monitoring could be considered as set to output by default). If you want to record a Folder Track input you can do it and if you want to record what's coming from its children you can do it too by setting it to "Record: output (mono/stereo)". If you want to monitor your recording you'd need to disable Master/Parent Send in children, that's pretty logical due to Reaper's way to handle Folders. I can't see the problem here. A track input is one thing and what Folder Tracks receive from their children is another thing which can be combined if it's needed. Cablebob suggests something really useful but it has its limitations (you'd need to mute/delete your receives after recording or you'll hear what's coming in). We need a way to say to a track "hey, now you're going to receive some signal from this track but you'll listen to it only for recording purposes (rec armed)". That's what Billion's FR is about.
08-11-2009 01:11 PM

So I don't understand why an input in Reaper must be a physical input! And it's a shame because with its routing matrix, the possibilities could be much useful...

IMO, the folder tracks should be like children of Master/Parent. If you want to record a drums submix, it's really hard now. Because tape auto/style doesn't work with "record: output". And like you said, you must disable all children tracks from Master/Parent.

If I want to record a voice with an EQ, I can think: "wow great! I can just use one track in reaper because I can record his output". But in fact, you can't! because you don't have monitoring facilities.So in a such way, we can just think that "record output" is a bad Freeze?
This example is more logical. I don't think we can change this. I understand it's normal to not have real auto/tape style when recording output...so we need a real folder track...

It's too much strange, the way the I/O of track folder is for the moment.
08-11-2009 04:43 PM

I can only agree on that issue. It's a limitation that has negative consequences on established workflows, and there's no substitute for it either.

There are those folks that argue that recording receives is not beneficial because you cannot control them with any monitoring switches, and have to silence them by hand in the I/O window or whereever else each time you wish to record, even if it were possible to record the receives that is.

Well, then let's have the receives BE influenced by monitoring modes and treated as a recording source just like device inputs are. If the receives are chosen as a recording source, then apply the monitoring modes to them. You're usually not jumping around recording different sources anyway. The other request that Billoon posted is about recording the output of any other track, but is worth supporting too IMO.

Let's bring on receives recording for some very simple reasons.

You can do re-recording of mixes to tracks, complete with all recording modes and monitoring, just like everyone is doing with consoles. Simple stem printing, multiple mix fixing(destructive recording anyone?)... do that without such a recording facilities and you'll quickly find out just how much time you are NOT being paid for.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue