Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Horizontal piano roll Issue Tools
issueid=1317 10-08-2009 11:25 PM
Human being with feelings
Horizontal piano roll
For people that play keyboard in particular

A vertical piano roll makes sense for people composing in the roll as it maps to notation and the track above it but if you are a person who records as they play a horizontal roll allowing a full view of the keyboard can also be very useful such as in Rondo:

http://www.fracturedsoftware.com/rondo/

It would be very cool if Reaper was the first host to implement such a feature.

btw

This is being discussed over at KvR right now:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...798178#3798178
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category MIDI recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version 3.12
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 46
Users who would not use this feature 37
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-09-2009 01:01 AM

actually 2 days ago I was thinking that it will be much more logical to have the whole concept (audio/midi/automation) like that.

seems like a cool option that I want to experience, +1 from me...

it makes more sense for the brain because we sit in front of the monitors...and it is like we are walking in a road and things happen in stereo. much easier to catch the sequence of events.

maybe the pictures example will show what I mean:

vs

in the second picture (3D), it makes more sense for the brain to catch and expect the correct sequence of events, because this is how it works in reality. (+ can you imagine a surround sound for the first picture?)

maybe this is more suitable view:
10-09-2009 01:09 AM

To me, while vertical piano roll seems like a logical idea, it breaks the timeline working paradigm, where time is on horizontal axis. Hence my negative vote on this.
10-09-2009 01:24 AM

forget I've said something :X
this isn't easy to get used to tracker style again after so many years without it.

but it can be a cool experience...

so +1 but priority 10-...when nothing else left to do.
10-09-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected
actually 2 days ago I was thinking that it will be much more logical to have the whole concept (audio/midi/automation) like that.

seems like a cool option that I want to experience, +1 from me...

it makes more sense for the brain because we sit in front of the monitors...and it is like we are walking in a road and things happen in stereo. much easier to catch the sequence of events.

maybe the pictures example will show what I mean:

vs

in the second picture (3D), it makes more sense for the brain to catch and expect the correct sequence of events, because this is how it works in reality. (+ can you imagine a surround sound for the first picture?)

maybe this is more suitable view:
maybe you're right here, i don't know, i got used to the horizontal time line
and i think they made it this way, because the horizontal length, is bigger than the vertical ?
10-09-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsup
and i think they made it this way, because the horizontal length, is bigger than the vertical ?
Not only that, but audio is also sorted vertically, because time matters more for that. Whoever invented piano roll for sequencing software, I guess he just wanted to carry on with the horizontal time axis paradigm.

Let it stay that way.
10-09-2009 07:41 PM

And the more I think about it the screen should scroll bottom to top (upward). I say this because I'm trying to picture reading the credits at the end of a movie and I think top to bottom is not that comfortable.

I see this as a sweet addition to a great app! As long as it was an option it wouldn't be offensive to those who don't get why some would find this so appealing.

Now there is one downside I see and that's dealing with controller/parameter data. Would that now need to be at the side of the scroll area?
10-10-2009 01:25 AM

Considering it's named a piano roll and an original piano roll (Hardware look ma no hands) was mainly like this it's kind of strange they chose it to be how it is now

Weird though cause i think of the current way as horizontal and the way your asking for as vertical hehehehe

NAS
10-10-2009 01:37 AM

Well I was echoing the KvR thread which refers to it as horizontal - I guess because it's the keys that are horizontal so they map 1:1 to my real keyboard as opposed to seeing it on its side and cut down. Don't know why so many are opposed to it - its not like anyone was suggesting this as the default - just an option.
10-10-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMUSEd
Don't know why so many are opposed to it - its not like anyone was suggesting this as the default - just an option.
This comes up on several FS. The question is: "would you use this feature?" not "Do you support or are you against this feature?"

I guess the idea behind is for Cockos to prioritize work, depending on how users react to the FS.
06-12-2010 04:27 AM
-blänk-

Please gents, use a thread in the forum for discussion and don't hog the tracker with non feature related stuff or content-less comments.

I propose using this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=49586, as it was recently bumped up (and was the one I found first)

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue