Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Feature Request

Track Phase routing options Issue Tools
issueid=535 07-11-2009 09:46 AM
Human being with feelings
Track Phase routing options

Personally I'm not happy with the current position of the Track Phase button in REAPER's routing.

Current implementation:
Code:
Item
|
Item Phase
|
-> Pre-FX Send
|
FX
|
-> Pre-fader (Post-FX)
|
Volume fader
|
Track Phase ???
|
-> Post-fader (Post-Pan)
|
Parent

If you use sends, "Phase" only gets applied when using "Post fader" (Post-pan) mode! If you send pre-fader, then it's not going to the sends properly! In 99.9% of cases you want to apply phase inversion to the track media, not to the output of plugins. More important: You want to carry the phase inversion over to pre-fx sends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Thinking about a band recording where the band wants to listen to each take, it would be most unconvenient to flip the item phases after each take. When a very rough mix has been made including flipped phases and quick reverbs, each take should definitely fit in the same mix.

Does an analogue mixer flip the phase before or after sends?
And in Reaper, in which situations would you flip the phase of the channel but not the sends? I just can't think of any.

That's how I need it most of the time:
Code:
Item
|
Item Phase
|
Track Phase !!!
|
-> Pre-FX Send
|
FX
|
-> Pre-fader (Post-FX)
|
Volume fader
|
-> Post-fader (Post-Pan)
|
Parent

Request:
Please add a context menu to the Track Phase button where we can choose its position in the routing. This new suggested position should be the default setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
Maybe be able to right-click on the phase button to have the phase reversal applied pre fx.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=342976
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature Request
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Audio recording and playback
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version 3.05
Implemented Version (none)
Users who would use this feature 16
Users who would not use this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-11-2009 10:37 AM

I don't think an option is needed. I think it should simply be changed.

There are too many options in REAPER as it is. + new users should have a sensible default to work with - without having to find an obscure setting.
07-11-2009 01:22 PM

Wow... I got quoted!! ;o)

Great to see this has been made into a real request. It's a major issue.
07-22-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver
There are too many options in REAPER as it is. + new users should have a sensible default to work with - without having to find an obscure setting.
Amen. Too many options.

And the polarity button needs to be pre-fader only.
07-23-2009 06:01 PM

you can make a template with a JS phase plugin on evry track in first position and parameter control in MCP/TCP, and that's it.or a fx chain, you'll move on first when you need it.
07-23-2009 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim
you can make a template with a JS phase plugin on evry track in first position and parameter control in MCP/TCP, and that's it.or a fx chain, you'll move on first when you need it.
enough with extensions and plugs!
07-23-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviavi
Amen. Too many options.
i also think that there are too many options already.
07-24-2009 01:08 AM

This simply needs to be changed to reflect what has been asked for in OP thread. No need for more confusing options, just make it default behaviour.
07-24-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
This simply needs to be changed to reflect what has been asked for in OP thread. No need for more confusing options, just make it default behaviour.
And then people come up with feature requests again to be able to phase invert at the end of the fx chain.

Old behaviour should be there as option (in context menu or so).
07-24-2009 01:47 AM

I don't think this will hurt, so I don't care...

you can always use a simple phase plugin in ur scheme
12-21-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon
Totally agree ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct
And then people come up with feature requests again to be able to phase invert at the end of the fx chain.

Old behaviour should be there as option (in context menu or so).
Old behaviour will be there already in the form of ... "do it with a plugin, wherever in the FX chain you want it to happen ... or do it in the IO window".

If it must be optional, then why does it have to be per track? Seems like it would be better as a global preference.
12-21-2011 10:13 AM

+1 Voted

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue