Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

oatmeal crash Issue Tools
issueid=1213 09-17-2009 08:14 AM
Human being with feelings
oatmeal crash
just editing

just editing a sound on oatmeal when reaper error report came up....offset 0000d9d1. no other tracks / vsts in use
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Plugins
Status Fixed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.104
Closed Version 3.11
Yes votes 1
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-17-2009 08:35 AM
Super Moderator (no feelings)

"offset 0000d9d1" <- I assume in oatmeal.dll?

Crashes when editing or changing patches are a known Oatmeal issue on various hosts. So this is not really a Reaper issue. No idea if it can be fixed easily by our guys, I guess the Oatmeal author could do more about it.
09-17-2009 09:16 AM

hi stein

not really up to speed on the error report info... just thought the offset info was what was required...

it said oatmeal as the mod, if that helps. cant remember the rest.

didnt know oatmeal has cross platform issues - so will keep an eye out for it happening again.

cheers
09-17-2009 09:39 AM

If you feel adventurous, you could try the latest beta/prerelease - check this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22836

The prerelease has a way to run plugins in a dedicated/separate process (right-click the plugin name in the FX browser and select 'Run as'->Separate process'.
09-17-2009 10:00 AM

It's Reaper's issue. Oatmeal works just fine in FLS8 and Sonar 7 to me... Reaper is the only causing the crash when working longer sessions with Oatmeal.
09-17-2009 10:04 AM
Administrator

Oatmeal has some known issues, there are already special cases in the Reaper code to do special stuff just for Oatmeal. Can you make sure you have the latest Reaper release (3.104), so that we are sure you have all the current special cases? If it's still a problem, can you give a way to reproduce the crash?

For what it's worth, a lot of "this plugin works fine in other hosts, so Reaper must be broken" type of problems are because Reaper tends to do more multithreaded audio processing than other hosts. Plugins that are not threadsafe may crash in Reaper but not other hosts. The known problems with Oatmeal are exactly this type of problem.
09-17-2009 10:36 AM

I have tried it on 3.104 and 3.105pre2, it still crashes when switching presets from Reaper's preset list, after a while. Using scrollwheel up and down to switch presets faster makes crash happen sooner. On a bright side, I don't get a BSOD anymore.

I might try it with VST bridging, but I don't like undocked view of it...

EDIT: with bridging, ran as a separate process, it crashes the bridging host too, BUT NOT Reaper. Even using Oatmeal's patch changing interface :(
09-18-2009 01:27 AM

i'm using 3.104 . will try and recreate crash...although evildragon seems to have found another way...

schwa- i understand that reaper is doing more multithreading stuff, but at the end of the day, it still means that that other hosts have less issues with plug crashes..so unless these plugin makers make them more threadsafe (unlikely because they are stable on most hosts) is it possible that reaper could be tweaked so that it can accomodate these plugs?

believe me, i want reaper to do well, as it is such a great program, but this issues with plugs is a BIG thing and will put off a lot of people...
09-18-2009 01:41 AM

Try the 3.11rc (how to get it...see my post above). It should have another fix for Oatmeal.
09-18-2009 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steindork
Try the 3.11rc (how to get it...see my post above). It should have another fix for Oatmeal.
i would try this version but i'm trying to find the reaper.ini file... as recommended to back it up.

where is it hiding? tried a search...
09-18-2009 02:53 AM

C:\Documents And Settings\%username%\Application Data\REAPER
09-18-2009 02:57 AM

thanks evilD
09-18-2009 03:01 AM

oh . while i'm still on this version...there seems to be a problem with adding saved fx chains. it either comes up with a box saying error reading file or it doesnt bring up all the fx in the chain...
09-18-2009 03:24 AM

I'm confirming no crashes on even the fastest preset switchings after 10 minutes of anxiously spinning that scrollwheel!

Thank you Cockos!
09-18-2009 03:25 AM

mmm, after rebooting reaper didnt do it again...also not doing it in beta version...
09-18-2009 03:59 AM
Administrator

"didn't do it" meaning the bug exists, or the bug is gone?
09-18-2009 09:06 AM

cant say. i just mean that i went through the same processes ( or as close as i could remember) and i couldnt recreate the bug..
09-18-2009 09:23 AM

Then it's fixed :D

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue