Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Closed Issue

AMD FX-8120 - WINDOWS 8 - CPU MAXS OUT - BUG Issue Tools
issueid=4708 03-17-2013 11:38 PM
Human being with feelings
AMD FX-8120 - WINDOWS 8 - CPU MAXS OUT - BUG

Alright
I posted this issue previously in the bug tracker forum and after many weeks of trying to resolve this and many posts - its time to report this here.

I have a newer ASUS CM1831 tower that came pre-loaded with Windows 7 home.
When I upgrade to Windows 8 Pro - (not keeping any of my files) so a complete wipe install - and install a fresh copy of Reaper 64x I get all my processing cores maxing out - an overload.

What is really weird about all of this is that Reaper 64x will run with pre-installed Windows 7 Home. Install Windows 8 Pro and the system goes haywire.
All I have to do is drop in 100 empty tracks and the CPU jumps to 50%.
Forget plugins - they aren't being used... so that is a non factor.

I have a working file called believe that has 225 tracks in it. Just guitars, drums, bass and vocals. That project file without even pressing play jumps to 89-100 percent on the performance meter. As per individual tracks they show a 0% CPU usage.

So it's clearly something to do with Windows 8 Pro or Reaper 64x - or something to do with the AMD FX-8120 8 Core processor.

I hope this report is taken seriously. Anyone who purchases software like this should have access to meaningful tech support. I love Reaper and really have decided I want this to be my DAW of choice. I can run Acid Pro 7 with the same number of tracks and effects with no problem, as well Studio One 2 2.5.1 works lovely.

I have been able to reproduce this bug every time I install Windows 8 Pro on this tower.

If you are looking for pictures, I posted a slew in the Bug Tracker section.

Hoping for resolution on this issue.
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Closed Issue
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Duplicate
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version 4.32
Closed Version (none)
Yes votes 0
No votes 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-18-2013 01:07 AM

So don't use W8? :D

I'd steer away from W8 for audio work at least until the first service pack for it. W7 is still golden.
03-18-2013 08:03 AM

I have run Reaper on my old Intel Core 2 Quad fine and my band mate is running it on his Intel i3. Windows 7 is good no question. It's frustrating that I am having problems with this on my new 8 Core tower.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue