Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Projects > Deprecated REAPER issue tracker > Open Bug

MP3 ID3v1 tags / JS engine Issue Tools
issueid=56 06-14-2009 12:22 PM
Human being with feelings
MP3 ID3v1 tags / JS engine
Browsing to a mp3 file which has a ID3v1 tag TITLE, results a problem with the JS engine.

Present in 2.58, latest 3.03.
Discussed before. Apparently only in the case of ID3v1 tags.

[One line summary]:
Browsing to a mp3 file which has a ID3v1 tag TITLE, results in issues with the JS engine.

[Vid (better vid for this one)]:
[img]http://img261.**************/img261/9451/jsbug.gif[/img]

[Discussion]:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=31776

[Effects]:
- Prevents slider smoothing parameter from working (e.x.: .001)
- Affects jsGFX section.
- Variables receive inappropriate values.

[Know solutions]:
- Reaper restart.
- Restrict browsing to folders not containing MP3's with ID3v1.
- change local settings in windows to - English / English (US)



lubomir
Issue Details
Issue Type Open Bug
Project Deprecated REAPER issue tracker
Category Stability
Status Confirmed
Priority 3
Affected Version 3.02
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-05-2009 05:32 PM
Moderator
 
This bug still persist in 3.05
Reply
07-05-2009 06:41 PM
Administrator
 
This is probably due to some component in explorer, in the media library hosing the fpu flags in some way.. I will look into it but I can't seem to duplicate... Can people who have it post their OS version, processor type, and regional settings?
Reply
07-05-2009 07:09 PM
Human being with feelings
 
nice conclusion justin :-)

definitively a non-english local settings issue.

changed "standards and formats" to "english (united states") and the issue is no longer triggered on tag read.
Reply
07-05-2009 07:17 PM
Moderator
 
Sure

Windows XP SP3
AMD Atlhon 64 3200+
Espaņol (Venezuela)

Another way to reproduce this is:

1. New Project
2. Insert new track
3. Insert a JS Effect
4. Go to main menu Insert->Media File... and search for a folder with an .mp3

It's not necessary to insert the media file. It just happens when the folder with the .mp3 show its contents.

EDIT: Confirmed liteon, if I change my regional settings to "English (United States)" the issue dissapears.
Reply
07-05-2009 07:28 PM
Administrator
 
liteon: what CPU?
Reply
07-05-2009 07:31 PM
Human being with feelings
 
athlon xp1800+
Reply
07-05-2009 07:38 PM
Administrator
 
Perhaps it's limited to AMD processors.. will check when I get to my AMD machine soon.. XP too liteon?
Reply
07-05-2009 08:23 PM
Human being with feelings
 
i noticed in that little gif anim that the decimal point changes from "." to "," after loading the mp3. that seems to be linked to regional settings and might be throwing the js effect possibly.

does this happen with VSTs with GUI disabled as well?
Reply
07-05-2009 09:10 PM
Human being with feelings
 
xpsp2 over here.

dub3000's observation,
yes, for all gui-less vst plugins as well (ie '.' turns into ','), but does not break the sliders or plugin in any way, i guess thats because the vst api uses 2 parameters for the sliders (one actual value and one for text).

i currently cannot test on another cpu / os.
Reply
07-06-2009 02:52 AM
Human being with feelings
 
No, for me the "." does not change into a "," in GUI-less VSTs, just in JS plugs. JS plus also stop functioning properly, and the graphics are messed up.

My machine is an Intel Core2 Duo E6600, and I run Windows XP Pro SP3 Dutch. So no, it's not an AMD issue.
Reply
07-06-2009 06:52 AM
Human being with feelings
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale
No, for me the "." does not change into a "," in GUI-less VSTs, just in JS plugs. JS plus also stop functioning properly, and the graphics are messed up.

My machine is an Intel Core2 Duo E6600, and I run Windows XP Pro SP3 Dutch. So no, it's not an AMD issue.
the "." sign only changes if a slider is moved in a gui-less vst plugin over here.
Reply
07-06-2009 08:50 AM
Human being with feelings
 
It seems to depend on the VST. Earlier I tried B4 II, MrRay73, and one of my own experimental VSTs, and there was no change. However, I've just tried some of the Cockos VSTs, and in those the dots do become commas.
Reply
08-07-2009 08:06 AM
Human being with feelings
 
just to let you guys know that "daddy-o" is still here...

tried on laptop with centrino, vista, reaper 3.06 and non-english locals.
Reply
08-07-2009 08:31 AM
Moderator
 
Yes, here too... and now it acts even worse: parameters are kinda disabled when this happens.
Reply
06-30-2014 09:02 PM
Human being with feelings
 
As this Bug still seems not fixed, I have found a decent workaround:
Just open a command line or press [Win]+R, Then type in "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" and the next time you open Reaper, the problem is gone.
The shmedia.dll is used by the windows explorer to read ID3 Tags. Reaper media explorer is based on Win explorer. With the /u parameter you unregister this dll, and explorer looses ID3 capability and so does the media explorer in Reaper. If for any reason you need ID3 functionality back in Windows explorer, simply type in the line above without the /u parameter.
Reply
Reply

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.